Adam Biegel is a partner in the Litigation & Trial Practice Group specializing in antitrust counseling and litigation and other commercial litigation matters. He has substantial experience representing clients on antitrust issues, including pricing, joint ventures, distribution, merger clearances under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, government investigations and antitrust compliance, particularly in the financial services, health care, manufacturing and chemical sectors. He regularly represents clients before the U.S. Justice Department’s Antitrust Division, the Federal Trade Commission and state competition authorities.
Mr. Biegel has been recognized for his antitrust expertise by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers. He is a longtime member of the leadership of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Antitrust Section, having served on its board and chaired its Corporate Counseling Committee. Mr. Biegel also chairs the Georgia Bar’s Antitrust Section.
He speaks and writes regularly on antitrust topics and has contributed to publications by West, Global Legal Group and the ABA.
Mr. Biegel served as a law clerk to the Hon. Frank M. Hull, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and worked as a reporter for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and on the legislative staff of U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch.
Antitrust and Commercial Litigation
- Represented an international auto parts manufacturer in a multidistrict class action litigation matter alleging price-fixing activity among manufacturers of oil, air and fuel filters.
- Represented an insulation manufacturer in a class action lawsuit alleging improper coordination of pricing activity.
- Represented leading pharmaceutical and wireless equipment manufacturers in intellectual property litigation matters involving monopolization counterclaims.
- Filed amicus briefs on behalf of industry associations in multiple antitrust appellate matters, including three state hospital associations in a U.S. Supreme Court case on physician privileges issue and state insurance legislators in a federal appellate court proceeding concerning antitrust exemption.
- Represented academic institutions in antitrust lawsuits involving accreditation, physician privileges and medical resident stipends.
- Represented individuals in criminal antitrust an airline executive in connection with an air cargo price-fixing investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division, including an airline executive in the air cargo cartel investigation.
- Served as lead counsel to a worldwide transportation and logistics company on commercial litigation matters across the United States.
- Represented a fractional and aviation membership services company in litigation concerning the sale of the company and fiduciary duties.
- Represented nine national media organizations on amicus briefs to federal appeals court in a First Amendment matter.
Antitrust Counseling and Investigations
- Serve as lead outside U.S. antitrust counsel to leading corporations and trade associations in a variety of industries, including financial services, chemicals, consumer products, construction equipment, health insurance, fiber optics, hospitals, industrial equipment and sports.
- Advised industry coalitions and trade associations on antitrust compliance in connection with regulatory, lobbying, information sharing and standard setting initiatives.
- Antitrust counsel for major national retail chain in connection with development of new mobile payment system initiative.
- Represented clients in connection with multiple mergers or joint ventures investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice or Federal Trade Commission in recent years, including those in the banking, chemical, distribution, paper packaging, health insurance, hospital, dialysis clinic, pharmaceutical, construction aggregate and medical product sectors.
- Represented multiple leading retailers and service providers in connection with state consumer protection investigations.
- Regularly counsel leading U.S. and global companies on antitrust issues, including Hart-Scott-Rodino Act pre-merger requirements and filings, compliance policies and training, dawn raid protocols, competitor collaborations, exemptions, group purchasing, pricing and distribution practices, interlocking directorates, government investigations and other compliance issues.
- Advised one of the largest health care companies in the U.S. on antitrust and public policy issues, including legislative proposals and participation in antitrust agency hearings.
Adam Biegel was named chair of the State Bar of Georgia's Antitrust Section on September 1, 2013.
September 1, 2013
In the Press
Alston & Bird advised Ambulatory Services of America, a Nashville-based diversified health care services company that provides dialysis services and radiation oncology services, in connection with its sale to U.S. Renal Care, a Texas-based dialysis provider.
August 20, 2013
In the Press
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
"Private Enforcement of the Antitrust Laws," chapter in Antitrust Adviser, 5th ed. (Irving Scher), Thomson Reuters/West, Nov. 2011.
“Model Corporate Antitrust Policy,” in Antitrust Compliance: Perspectives and Resources for Corporate Counselors (2d ed.), ABA Section of Antitrust Law (2010) and The In-House Counsel’s Essential Toolkit, ABA Section of Business Law (2007).
"International Comparative Guide to Competition Litigation 2010," (2d ed.), United States chapter (Global Legal Group Ltd.)
October 3, 2013
April 10-12, 2013
October 22, 2012
May 2, 2012
April 10, 2012
March 28-30, 2012
December 2, 2011
December 3, 2010
October 26, 2010
September 15, 2010
- American Bar Association (Member, Antitrust Section’s Long Range Planning Committee)
- State Bar of Georgia (Chair, Antitrust Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Georgia Academy of Health Attorneys
- American Counsel Association
- Federalist Society (Vice President, Atlanta Lawyers Chapter)
- Student Press Law Center Legal Advisory Council
- Civil Air Patrol (U.S. Air Force Auxiliary)