Adam Biegel leads Alston & Bird’s Washington, D.C., antitrust practice team. He specializes in antitrust counseling and litigation and other commercial litigation matters. He has substantial experience representing clients on antitrust issues, including pricing, joint ventures, distribution, merger clearances under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act, government investigations and antitrust compliance, particularly in the financial services, health care, manufacturing and chemical sectors. He regularly represents clients before the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and state competition authorities.
Mr. Biegel has been recognized for his antitrust experience by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. He is a longtime member of the leadership of the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, having served on its board and chaired its Corporate Counseling Committee.
He speaks and writes regularly on antitrust topics and has contributed to publications by West, Global Legal Group and the ABA.
Mr. Biegel served as a law clerk to the Hon. Frank M. Hull, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and worked as a reporter for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and on the legislative staff of U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).
Antitrust and Commercial Litigation
- Represented an international auto parts manufacturer in a multidistrict class action litigation matter alleging price-fixing activity among manufacturers of oil, air and fuel filters.
- Represented an insulation manufacturer in a class action lawsuit alleging improper coordination of pricing activity.
- Represented leading pharmaceutical and wireless equipment manufacturers in intellectual property litigation matters involving monopolization counterclaims.
- Filed amicus briefs on behalf of industry associations in multiple antitrust appellate matters, including three state hospital associations in a U.S. Supreme Court case on a physician privileges issue and state insurance legislators in a federal appellate court proceeding concerning an antitrust exemption.
- Represented academic institutions in antitrust lawsuits involving accreditation, physician privileges and medical resident stipends.
- Served as lead counsel to a worldwide transportation and logistics company on commercial litigation matters across the United States.
- Represented an aviation services company in litigation concerning the sale of the company and fiduciary duties.
- Represented nine national media organizations on amicus briefs to a federal appeals court in a First Amendment matter.
Antitrust Counseling and Investigations
- Served as lead outside U.S. antitrust counsel to leading corporations and trade associations in a variety of industries, including financial services, chemicals, consumer products, construction equipment, health insurance, fiber optics, hospitals, industrial equipment and sports.
- Advised industry coalitions and trade associations on antitrust compliance in connection with regulatory, lobbying, information sharing and standard setting initiatives.
- Antitrust counsel for a major national retail chain in connection with the development of a new mobile payment system initiative.
- Represented clients in connection with multiple mergers or and joint ventures investigated by the U.S. Department of Justice or and Federal Trade Commission in recent years, including those in the banking, chemical, distribution, paper packaging, health insurance, hospital, dialysis clinic, pharmaceutical, construction aggregate and medical product sectors.
- Represented multiple leading retailers and service providers in connection with state consumer protection investigations.
- Regularly counsel leading U.S. and global companies on antitrust issues, including Hart-Scott-Rodino Act pre-merger requirements and filings, compliance policies and training, dawn raid protocols, competitor collaborations, exemptions, group purchasing, pricing and distribution practices, interlocking directorates, government investigations and other compliance issues.
- Represented individuals in criminal antitrust investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division, including an airline executive in the air cargo cartel investigation and a real estate investor in the foreclosure auction bid-rigging investigation.
- Advised one of the largest health care companies in the U.S. on antitrust and public policy issues, including legislative proposals and participation in antitrust agency hearings.
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
Alston & Bird has earned broad recognition in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA, the peer review directory of leading U.S. business lawyers.
May 20, 2015
Alston & Bird client Einstein Noah Restaurant Group has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by JAB Holding Company, a German conglomerate, for about $374 million.
October 1, 2014
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the News
- American Bar Association (co-chair, Antitrust Section’s Committee Operations Committee)
- Federal Bar Association
- American Counsel Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Georgia (past chair, Antitrust Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Academy of Health Attorneys
- Federalist Society (former president, Atlanta Lawyers Chapter)
- Student Press Law Center Legal Advisory Council
- Civil Air Patrol (U.S. Air Force Auxiliary)