Ed Britan is a senior associate in the Legislative & Public Policy Group in Alston & Bird’s Washington, D.C. office. Ed concentrates on representing business, association and not-for-profit clients on legislative, public policy and regulatory matters regarding federal funding, financial services, e-commerce, data privacy and security, education, energy, federal election law, federal lobbying and ethics law and telecommunications issues. Prior to joining the firm, Ed assisted the legal team at a large consumer reporting agency, where he worked on compliance issues involving both federal and state data security and privacy laws.
Ed received his J.D. in 2007 from the New York University School of Law. In 2003, he received a B.A. in psychology from Wesleyan University.
Advocacy before members of Congress and the executive branch:
- Helped to introduce and gain support from members of Congress for bills promoting client interests.
- Provided strategic advice and legislative advocacy on a range of data privacy and security policy matters, including in relation to the federal stimulus bill, the TARP bill, state privacy laws, the Financial Markets Stabilization Plan, proposed federal privacy laws and the House and Senate financial reform bills.
- Organized and led teams of trade association/national alliance representatives and Alston & Bird professionals in hundreds of meetings on Capitol Hill.
- Worked to secure federal funding for clients through the appropriations process, the stimulus bill, transportation reauthorization bill, supplemental appropriations bills and various federal grant opportunities.
- Advocated before the NRC, DoE and DoD regarding issues affecting nuclear facilities.
- Worked with DoE and members of Congress to secure federal funding for the research and design of state-of-the-art computer technology.
- Worked with the FCC on federal broadband policy issues.
- Advocated before members of Congress in favor of client priorities with respect to electrical transmission policy.
- Implemented policy strategy on federal agency matters regarding housing programs and foreclosure prevention.
Counsel and Compliance:
- Provided counsel regarding matters pending before the FTC, including analysis of the FTC privacy roundtable workshops and the FTC principals on behavioral advertising.
- Helped clients respond to data security breaches and fulfill state data breach notification requirements.
- Provided analysis and advice regarding PAC strategy, administration and compliance with FEC rules.
- Provided analysis and advice with regard to Lobbying Disclosure Act requirements and federal ethics rules.
- Provided strategic advice for clients on residential appraisal policy matters.