Gary Mize currently chairs the firm's Insurance Litigation & Regulation Group and formerly co-chaired the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group, comprised of over 130 litigation attorneys located in all of the firm’s offices. He has expertise in all aspects of the legal relationships among an insurance carrier, its insured and their intermediaries, as well as being an experienced litigator with courtroom trial experience in jurisdictions across the country. Gary’s practice encompasses bad faith claims, insurance product development, bundling insurance and non-insurance products and services, and insurance coverage disputes involving commercial general liability, commercial property, employer liability, intellectual property, electronic commerce, environmental, professional, title, E&O and D&O coverage matters. Gary also regularly attends quarterly meetings and participates in working groups and industry meetings of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and other national insurance trade associations.
- Coverage counsel for claims arising from the largest industrial accident in the history of the state of Georgia involving over $500 billion in insurance limits.
- Chief outside regulatory and transactional counsel to wireless handset insurance programs representing the largest wireless carriers in the U.S. and multiple vendors.
- Defends policyholder claims for bad faith and class action relief on behalf of many of the nation’s largest personal lines insurers.
- Performed a market conduct investigation for one of the world’s largest life insurers concerning fraudulent underwriting of over $300 million in life/annuity business.
- Producer and carrier counsel for producer compensation/contingent commission investigations in 16 states.
- Carrier counsel for finite reinsurance investigations in five states.
- Regulatory counsel to major mobile phone and credit card clients concerning the product design of insurance offerings to compliment cell phone and credit card services.
- Hurricane coverage and regulatory counseling and litigation throughout the Gulf region in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.