Martin Bunin practices in the area of bankruptcy and reorganization. His experience includes the representation of committees in Chapter 11 cases, with an emphasis on unsecured creditors’ committees in cases filed by hospitals and other health care businesses, as well as resort hotels, manufacturers, service businesses and owners of real estate. He has worked on behalf of an equity committee and a retiree committee. He represents secured and unsecured creditors and contract counterparties, especially in energy industry Chapter 11 cases and workouts.
Mr. Bunin served on the Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and has spoken and written on a variety of bankruptcy matters, most recently on health care bankruptcies. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights.
- Represents the unsecured creditors’ committees in Chapter 11 cases filed by Grubb & Ellis Company (S.D.N.Y.), MSR Resort Golf Course LLC, et al. (S.D.N.Y.), Sumner Regional Health Systems (M.D. Tenn.), Cabrini Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Caritas Health Care (E.D.N.Y.), and Victory Memorial Hospital (E.D.N.Y.).
- Represented the unsecured creditors’ committees in Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Forum Health (N.D.Ohio), Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers of New York (S.D.N.Y., 2005-2007), Vanderveer Estates Holding, LLC (E.D.N.Y.), Guilford Mills, Inc. (S.D.N.Y.), American Tissue, Inc. (D.Del), Noble Drew Ali Plaza Housing Corp. (S.D.N.Y.), Med Diversified, Inc. (E.D.N.Y.) International Total Services, Inc. (E.D.N.Y.), Hawaii Medical Centers (D. Hawaii), New York United Hospital Medical Center (S.D.N.Y.), Parkway Hospital (S.D.N.Y.) and the Section 1114 Retiree Committee of U.S. Airways (E.D.Va.).
- Represented the committee of equity security holders in the Chapter 11 cases filed by Spectrum Brands, Inc. and affiliates (W.D. Texas).
- Represented Harrison J. Goldin, as Examiner of Enron North America Corp., in his investigation into three financial institutions and an accounting firm involved in special-purpose-entity transactions of Enron Corp. (S.D.N.Y.).
- Represented creditors and contract counterparties in the Enron Corp. Chapter 11 cases (S.D.N.Y.), including Calpine Corporation and affiliates (co-counsel), Northwest Natural Gas Company, TXU Corporation and affiliates (co-counsel) and Metso Paper USA, Inc.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtor BMI Transportation Inc. and 22 subsidiaries, formerly the largest domestic bulk transport company (S.D.N.Y.); Chapter 11 debtor CIC Acquisition Corporation, a provided and manager of laundry equipment and related services, in a successful pre-packaged Chapter 11 case confirmed in 37 days (D.Del); and the Chapter 11 trustee of Olga Company (S.D.N.Y.), a captive coal producer owned by three steel companies.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the City of New York