Randall Allen’s nationwide practice is focused on complex commercial litigation and arbitration, with an emphasis on antitrust litigation and counseling. Mr. Allen is the former chair of both the firm’s Litigation and Antitrust Groups. He has argued in front of the United States Supreme Court and has litigated many complex cases in federal court throughout the United States, including both civil and criminal jury trials, as well as numerous state courts. In addition to his trial court work, Mr. Allen has frequently handled successful appeals in numerous state and federal appellate courts. He regularly serves as lead counsel arbitrating international commercial disputes under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), as well as disputes under the rules of the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
Mr. Allen is consistently recognized by a number of third-party publications for his achievements in the areas of antitrust and business litigation. These include Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, Georgia Trend’s “Legal Elite,” Georgia Super Lawyers and California Super Lawyers.
He received his J.D., cum laude, in 1986 and his B.A. in 1982 from Georgia State University.
Antitrust and Business Litigation and Arbitration
- Co-lead counsel for a global commercial airline in class action price-fixing litigation.
- Lead counsel in the United States Supreme Court on behalf of a consumer products manufacturer.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of an international chemical manufacturer in defending monopolization and attempt to monopolize claims relating to IP rights brought on behalf of a competitor.
- Lead counsel for a global building products manufacturer in a Delaware Court of Chancery dispute between joint venture participants over corporate governance issues.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a Fortune 200 construction and agricultural equipment manufacturer in a federal court dealer termination dispute.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a Fortune 500 automotive parts distributor in an Idaho price discrimination litigation, including successful defense before the Ninth Circuit.
- Lead counsel defending the world’s largest manufacturer of floor covering products in connection with a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation into coordinated activities, as well as related federal and state court class action, price-fixing litigation.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of the largest manufacturer of mobile phones in multiple state class actions alleging product defects. All of the class actions were dismissed at the trial court level.
- Lead counsel for a global wireless equipment manufacturer in ICC patent licensing disputes over second- and third-generation wireless technologies.
- Lead counsel in an ICC arbitration on behalf of an international cellular network supplier against a Venezuelan cellular provider resulting in a $46 million award on behalf of our client.
Antitrust Transaction Counseling
- Lead counsel for the second-largest movie and game rental company in a DOJ investigation into the client’s effort to acquire a competitor, successfully challenging a competing simultaneous hostile takeover effort.
- Represented the nation’s largest manufacturer of paper packaging products in connection with a DOJ investigation into the acquisition of a competitor.
- Represents a construction equipment manufacturer in a DOJ investigation of an acquisition by a competitor.
- Represents a global construction products manufacturer in an FTC investigation into the formation of a joint venture with an industry competitor.
- Represents a global floor covering manufacturer in a DOJ review of multiple acquisitions of competitive product manufacturers.
- Representation before the DOJ of an online professional placement firm in a merger with a competitor.
- Representation of a specialty printing company before the FTC in connection with an acquisition by a competitor.
Alston & Bird served as legal advisors for client Mohawk Industries, Inc., a floor coverings manufacturer, for the acquisition of Italian ceramic tile manufacturer Marazzi Group for approximately $1.55 billion in cash and shares to add to its global operations.
December 21, 2012
In the Press
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The publication is universally regarded as among the few definitive guides to legal excellence, and its rankings are based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 36,000 leading attorneys cast almost 4.4 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas.
September 18, 2012
In the Press
June 7, 2012
September 12, 2011
July 5, 2011
In the Press
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- Georgia Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- California Bar, Antitrust Section
- United States Supreme Court Bar
- Georgia State University, College of Law, Board of Visitors
- Past Chairman of the Board of the Atlanta Ronald McDonald Children’s Charities