Roger Cerda is a partner in the firm's Los Angeles office. He is a member of the firm's Litigation & Trial Practice, Products Liability and Insurance Groups. His practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation, products liability and insurance coverage disputes.
Mr. Cerda is experienced in all aspects of civil litigation in both state and federal court, including discovery, law and motion, and trial work. He is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts of California, as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Cerda is also an active member of the firm's Diversity Committee and Hiring Committee and is actively involved in the firm's mentoring and summer associate programs. Mr. Cerda was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Southern California Super Lawyers in 2012 and a “Rising Star Honoree” by the Association of Corporate Counsel, Southern California Chapter in 2012.
- Defended a manufacturer of component parts in a wrongful death products liability action. The plaintiffs settled the case for a nominal amount prior to the hearing on the manufacturer’s motion for summary judgment.
- Represented a hazard disclosure company in multiple cases involving trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition and false advertising claims. Drafted successful motions to dismiss and handled complex electronic discovery issues.
- Represented insurers in a variety of insurance coverage disputes, including claims for bad faith under CGL, D&O and EPL policies, as well as long-term disability and life insurance policies.
- Counsel to global product manufacturers in breach of warranty, strict liability and breach of contract actions brought in various jurisdictions. Obtained dismissal of several actions at the pleading stage through successful demurrers, motions to dismiss and motions to quash for lack of jurisdiction.
- Successfully represented an image processing vendor sued by a major motion picture studio in a case involving disputed contract terms, complex copyright issues and state tax issues.
- Obtained a pleadings-stage dismissal of a putative class action against a nationwide distributor of nutritional supplements alleging claims under Business and Professions Code §17200 and the Consumers Legal Remedies Act.
- Represented a Los Angeles restaurant in an employment dispute involving claims for sexual harassment, civil rights violations and unpaid wages. Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of the client prior to the hearing on the motion to dismiss the plaintiff’s claims.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a member of a successful restaurant chain in an ownership dispute against the majority shareholder.
- Served as a trial team member in commercial litigation actions brought in state and federal courts.