Sean Hyatt serves as counsel in the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group and a member of the Insurance Litigation & Regulation Team. He primarily concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation and insurance coverage and regulatory matters, with a particular focus on health insurance regulatory compliance and related issues at both the federal and state level. Mr. Hyatt is an experienced litigator in insurance and other complex disputes.
Mr. Hyatt’s practice includes litigation and client counseling. In the insurance arena, he has extensive experience advising clients regarding health insurance regulation and health care reform, product development, premium finance laws and transactions, corporation-owned life insurance issues, life-settlement questions, regulations related to commissions, privacy issues, licensing requirements and numerous other matters. Mr. Hyatt regularly provides counsel on health insurance regulatory/compliance and health care reform issues under both federal and state law, including the latest developments and the interplay between federal and state requirements. Additionally, he has counseled and represented clients with respect to insurance coverage under many types of policies, including commercial general liability, media-liability, directors and officers, open cargo, all-risk, errors and omissions, excess, umbrella, and property and casualty policies.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hyatt worked as the interim assistant director of contracts for a prominent medical school.
- Represented an insurance carrier regarding a $43 million loss in which the insured sought coverage under a D&O policy for claims made under Alabama’s Quo Warranto Act. This case settled prior to trial under very favorable terms.
- Represented an insurance carrier in a complex insurance coverage dispute in Georgia arising from the tragic death of a young child. The trial court granted summary judgment to the client in this matter, and the appellate court affirmed.
- Acted as dedicated counsel for a U.S. insurance carrier’s regulatory compliance group, providing research and advice on a host of statutes and regulations implicating property and casualty insurance coverage and related programs.
- Provided counsel and analysis on health insurance regulatory and health care reform issues.
- Defended a producer against claims of fraud, negligence and breach of contract arising from the sale of a $4 million deferred compensation program involving a variable life insurance policy.
- Represented defendants in various personal injury and complex commercial litigation cases outside of the insurance context.
- Member of the team of lawyers that conducted the bankruptcy examination of Enron in 2002 and 2003.
- Member of the team of lawyers that represented a Chapter 11 trustee in connection with his investigation of, and pursuit of claims against, various professionals and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.