Rosemarie Thurston moderated the panel "Assessing Non-Traded REITs In Today's Climate: What Opportunities Exist for Institutional Investors in This Market Sector?" on Thursday, January 22, 2:45pm - 3:45pm, at this program hosted by Information Management Network (IMN) and sponsored by Alston & Bird LLP. The panel addressed the following:
•How do Non-Traded REITs differ from the traditional private funds marketed to institutional investors?
• How has the financial market meltdown affected the market for Non-Traded REITs? Has it created opportunities for well-capitalized REITs to acquire distressed funds or their assets and operating platforms?
• Will recent extreme volatility in the equity markets ultimately motivate investors to flock to non-listed alternative investments, driving future growth of the Non-Traded REIT industry?
• What is the current institutional investor appetite to provide capital for joint ventures with Non-Traded REITs?
• What level of total returns are Non-Traded REITs realizing and how do they compare to publicly traded REITs? Are there different structures for institutional investors in Non-Traded REITs to provide greater returns than retail investors?
• How are Non-Traded REITs meeting the challenges of sourcing acquisitions and providing attractive dividend yields given current property markets?
• What trends do you expect to see emerge in the Non-Traded REIT sector?
The 2009 Forum will provide a real-time reflection of market events with the agenda being updated as necessary to account for new developments. This program provided the first chance for the Real Estate Opportunity Fund industry to meet after the presidential election to discuss the most pressing issues at the core of their business. With troubled capital markets, the change in Administration and the implementation of the TARP, 2009 is a pivotal year for the Real Estate industry. The Forum provided attendees with valuable market analysis along with opportunistic and protective strategies being implemented in response to economic conditions. Key issues discussed at this Forum include:
• Leading US Fund Strategy Roundtable: Making Money In A Recessionary Environment
• The "Real Deal": Analyzing How Recent Deals Were Closed
• Arranging Financing In A Troubled Market: Practical Steps For Fund Raising
• The Cold Hard Truth: Assessing Pension Funds' Current Appetite For Real Estate Funds
• Economist Perspective: Assessing The Global Economic Landscape For Real Estate In 209: Where Will The Smart Money Be Going?
• Where Are We Today & Where Are We Heading? US Real Estate Opportunity Fund Performance Review & Market Update
January 21-23, 2009
The Montage Resort & Spa / Laguna Beach, CA