Mike Stevens is a partner in the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group. He focuses on executive compensation matters, with a particular emphasis on tax, securities and corporate governance issues relating to stock plans, incentive compensation arrangements, executive employment agreements and deferred compensation. He represents companies, compensation committees and individual executives and frequently advises clients on executive compensation issues relating to mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Mr. Stevens is a co-author of The Compensation Committee Handbook, 4th Edition and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers. He is a frequent speaker and writer on a variety of matters relating to executive compensation, including Sections 409A, 280G and 162(m) of the tax code, SEC disclosure and registration requirements, corporate governance issues and institutional investor considerations.
Mr. Stevens received his J.D., with distinction, from Emory University School of Law in 1993, where he was an editor of the Emory Law Journal, elected to the Order of the Coif and received the Lexis Excellence in Writing Award. He received his undergraduate degree, with high honors, in 1990 from Emory University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Stevens serves as special executive compensation counsel to many publicly traded companies, closely-held businesses, and individual executives, including:
- One of the nation’s preeminent energy services companies.
- The world’s largest home improvement retailer.
- A national real estate investment and service company.
- One of the Southeast’s largest independent commercial banking organizations.
- The executive team of a leading real estate development company.
- The CEO of a leading ultra-premium culinary appliance company.
- The CFO of the world’s leading health care diagnostics company.
Representative transactional experience includes:
- Counsel to a global private equity fund on executive compensation issues in connection with its $3.9 billion acquisition of a telecommunications equipment company.
- Counsel to a leading provider of technology and business solutions on equity compensation, change in control agreements and related tax issues in connection with its $2.6 billion acquisition by an asset management company in a going-private transaction.
- Counsel to a leading hospital services company regarding retention and severance arrangements and “golden parachute” tax planning in connection with a $1.7 billion merger transaction.
- Counsel to the management of one of the nation’s largest optical companies relating to executive investment and equity incentives in connection with an acquisition by a private equity investor.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce will not challenge the Securities and Exchange Commission’s pay ratio rule requiring companies to disclose the gap between their chief executive’s compensation and that of their median employees.
October 20, 2015
In the News
On October 19, new pay ratio regulations from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) go into effect, requiring public companies to state what CEOs earn compared to the median compensation of employees.
October 12, 2015
In the News
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
Alston & Bird served as lead counsel to The Carlyle Group on its planned $8 billion acquisition of Veritas, an information management systems provider, from Symantec.
August 14, 2015
In the News
Alston & Bird served as lead counsel to The Carlyle Group, a global alternative asset manager with $193 billion of assets under management, on its planned $8 billion acquisition of Veritas, an information management systems provider, from Symantec Corp. The transaction is the biggest U.S. leveraged buyout announced in 2015 and the largest solo private equity purchase of U.S. assets since 2011.
August 14, 2015
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- State Bar of Georgia, Employee Benefits Section