Mike Stevens is a partner in the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group. He focuses on executive compensation matters, with a particular emphasis on tax, securities and corporate governance issues relating to stock plans, incentive compensation arrangements, executive employment agreements and deferred compensation. Mr. Stevens frequently advises clients with respect to executive compensation issues relating to mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Mr. Stevens is a frequent speaker and writer on a variety of matters relating to executive compensation, corporate governance and securities aspects of benefit plans. He has served on the faculty of the Institute of Applied Management and Law and has spoken for numerous organizations, including the National Association of Stock Plan Professionals, the National Center for Employee Ownership, the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals, and the National Investor Relations Institute.
Mr. Stevens received his J.D., with distinction, from Emory University School of Law in 1993, where he was an editor of the Emory Law Journal, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received the Lexis Excellence in Writing Award. He received his undergraduate degree, with high honors, from Emory University in 1990, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Stevens serves as special executive compensation counsel to many publicly traded companies, closely-held businesses, and individual executives, including:
- one of the nation’s preeminent energy services companies;
- an industry-leading supplier of residential and commercial flooring products;
- a global alternative asset manager with over $150 billion in assets under management;
- the world’s leading hospitality company;
- the world’s largest home improvement retailer;
- a national real estate investment company;
- one of the largest independent commercial banking organizations in Florida;
- the executive team of a leading real estate development company; and
- the CEO of U.S. operations for the manufacturer of the world’s most award- winning ultra-premium vodka.
Representative transactional experience includes:
- Counsel to a global private equity fund with respect to executive compensation issues in connection with its $3.9 billion acquisition of a telecommunications equipment company.
- Counsel to a leading provider of technology and business solutions with respect to equity compensation, change in control agreements and related tax issues in connection with its $2.6 billion acquisition by an asset management company in a going-private transaction.
- Counsel to a leading hospital services company regarding retention and severance arrangements and “golden parachute” tax planning in connection with a $1.7 billion merger transaction.
- Counsel to the management of one of the nation’s largest optical companies relating to executive investment and equity incentives in connection with an acquisition by a private equity investor.
Alston & Bird client CommScope Inc., a global leader in network infrastructure solutions, has agreed to acquire Switzerland-based TE Connectivity’s Telecom, Enterprise and Wireless businesses in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $3 billion.
February 1, 2015
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Alston & Bird LLP represented TechHealth, Inc., in its acquisition by One Call Care Management.
August 22, 2013
In the News
Alston & Bird advised Ambulatory Services of America, a Nashville-based diversified health care services company that provides dialysis services and radiation oncology services, in connection with its sale to U.S. Renal Care, a Texas-based dialysis provider.
August 20, 2013
In the News
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the News
Bloomberg BNA recently conducted an e-mail interview with Alston & Bird LLP executive compensation partner Mike Stevens about recent developments in executive compensation regulations and best practices for shareholder disclosures in this area.
April 16, 2014
Mike Stevens co-authored the 4th Edition of the Compensation Committee Handbook, published in April 2014.
"If I’d Only Known That: Common Mistakes in Equity Compensation and What to Do About Them," The National Center for Employee Ownership, Contributor, 2011.
"Paying for Excess: The Enduring Battle Over Executive Compensation," Financial Executive, June 2010.
- National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- State Bar of Georgia, Employee Benefits Section