Mr. Ellsworth counsels clients to procure, protect, license and enforce intellectual property rights with a specific emphasis on mechanical, electrical and computer implemented technology patents. In addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications, Mr. Ellsworth also counsels clients on a number of intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, patent validity and transactional matters.
Mr. Ellsworth received his J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law where he received the C.A.L.I. award for excellence in the study of patent law. He has lectured at Wake Forest and at Charlotte School of Law in the area of patent law and serves on the advisory board of the Wake Forest Intellectual Property Law Journal.
Mr. Ellsworth serves as chairman of the board of directors for Junior Achievement of the Central Carolinas. He also serves as the Charlotte office chair for Alston & Bird’s Pro Bono Committee and is a member of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Prior to joining Alston & Bird, Mr. Ellsworth worked in the automotive industry as a product engineer and O.E.M. program manager for Dana Corporation.
- Counsel to a wide variety of clients in drafting and prosecuting patent applications directed to numerous technologies, including RFID technologies, communication technologies, stealth technologies, printing technologies, Internet-based technologies, automotive parts and systems, airflow boundary layer control systems, semiconductor-based lighting systems, electronic packages, composites, optical fiber network planning systems and retail product security technologies.
- Counsel to a world technology and manufacturing leader that specializes in aerospace products; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; automotive products; electronic package cooling; and specialty ballistic composite materials.
- Counsel to a world leader in mobile communications and mobile phone manufacturing in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to the world’s largest combined manufacturer of commercial jetliners and military aircraft in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to a multinational manufacturer and marketer of technology-driven integrated solutions to protect people and assets, and to facilitate the merchandising, tracking, and securing of consumer goods at key checkpoints in the supply chain.
- Counsel to a world leader in specialty insurance, service contracts and risk management solutions in patent and transactional matters.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association – U.S. Patent Practice Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- State Bar of North Carolina
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office