Angela Payne James is a partner in the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group. She focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation matters with an emphasis on technology and intellectual property related disputes, including patent and trademark litigation.
Ms. James has extensive experience in federal and state court at both the trial and appellate levels. She has litigated matters on behalf of a variety of clients from Fortune 500 companies to mid-sized businesses across numerous industries, including the medical technology, computer software, computer manufacturing, advertising, chemical agriculture, telecommunications, retail, media and entertainment industries on a nationwide basis. Ms. James also has extensive experience counseling clients on intellectual property compliance and enforcement matters, including website and domain name disputes.
At the firm, Ms. James serves as the Chair of the Atlanta Diversity Committee, is a member of the firm’s nationwide Diversity Steering Committee and was the recipient of the 2006 Alston & Bird LLP Diversity Leadership Award.
After graduating, cum laude, from Harvard Law School and before joining the firm, Ms. James served as a clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Won judgment of $318 million as trial counsel on behalf of a high tech company in fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices jury trial in the Middle District of North Carolina.
- Achieved very favorable settlement as counsel for major telecommunications company in multidistrict litigation patent infringement case brought by nonpracticing entity asserting multimillion-dollar patent claims regarding interactive call processing technology in the Central District of California.
- Achieved favorable settlement for one of the world’s largest computer manufacturers in multimillion-dollar patent license royalty dispute case in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Served as senior member of the national class counsel team that represented global automobile manufacturer in multidistrict litigation proceedings in the Central District of California involving more than 200 class actions filed across the country related to unintended acceleration in vehicles; provided counsel on complex source code protection and production issues.
- Achieved favorable settlement before trial for fraction of asserted damages as trial counsel for major computer manufacturer in fraud and trade secret case involving product searching web site software in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Achieved favorable settlement before trial as litigation counsel for cable set-top box manufacturer and four telecommunication companies in patent infringement case regarding DVR technology in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Successfully defended major mattress manufacturer in patent litigation case involving foam mattresses in the Western District of Virginia.
- Achieved favorable settlements in multiple cases for cable company in several patent infringement cases in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Served as lead counsel in case and successful mediation for company to favorably resolve breach of contract action with software vendor in Northern District of Georgia.
- Served as lead counsel in successful mediation for document management company to favorably resolve software vendor dispute before litigation.
- Achieved favorable settlement before discovery for one of the world’s largest electronic transaction processing companies in patent litigation case in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Counsel for national health care corporation in patent infringement case brought by nonpracticing entity regarding electronic medical administration records and bar coding system in the Eastern District of Tennessee.
- Successfully represented Australian medical products company in victorious trademark and patent infringement case against former licensee involving urinary catheter technology in the Northern District of Georgia.
- Represented global upscale retailer in connection with all trademark enforcement matters.
- Represented Internet medical information provider in connection with all trademark enforcement matters, including domain name disputes.
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Barrister, Atlanta Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Steering Committee, State Bar of Georgia Diversity Program
- Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Board of Directors, The YWCA of Greater Atlanta
- Leadership Council, Posse Foundation Atlanta
- Leadership Atlanta, Class of 2010
- Advisory Board, Hands on Atlanta
- Former Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Georgia Women for a Change
- Harvard Club of Georgia