Angela Payne James is a partner in the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group. She focuses her practice on patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright litigation, as well as other complex commercial litigation.
Ms. James has extensive experience in federal and state court at both the trial and appellate levels. She has litigated matters on behalf of a variety of clients in the medical technology, computer software, advertising, chemical agriculture, telecommunications, retail, media and entertainment industries on a nationwide basis. Ms. James also has extensive experience counseling clients on intellectual property compliance and enforcement matters, including website and domain name disputes.
Ms. James serves as the chair of the firm’s Atlanta Diversity Committee, is a member of the firm’s nationwide Diversity Steering Committee and was the recipient of the 2006 Alston & Bird LLP Diversity Leadership Award.
- Trial counsel on behalf of a high-tech company in fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practices jury trial in the Middle District of North Carolina, winning judgment of $318 million.
- Counsel for major telecommunications company in multi-district litigation patent infringement case brought by non-practicing entity asserting multimillion-dollar patent claims regarding interactive call processing technology.
- Counsel to major computer manufacturer in patent license royalty dispute.
- Served as counsel to major automobile manufacturer in large multi-district class action litigation on service code and technology issues.
- Trial counsel for major computer manufacturer in fraud and trade secret case involving product searching web site software; achieved settlement before trial for fraction of asserted damages.
- Counsel for cable set top box manufacturer and numerous telecommunication companies in patent infringement case regarding DVR technology achieving favorable settlement before trial.
- Counsel for national health care corporation in patent infringement case brought by non-practicing entity regarding electronic medical administration records and bar coding system.
- Trial counsel for Australian medical products company in successful trademark and patent infringement case against former licensee involving urinary catheter technology.
- Represented global upscale retailer in connection with all trademark enforcement matters.
- Represented Internet medical information provider in connection with all trademark enforcement matters including domain name disputes.