Scott Ortwein is co-leader of Alston & Bird’s Corporate Transactions Department. Mr. Ortwein’s practice is concentrated in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Ortwein regularly advises Boards of Directors and Committees of Boards of Directors in their consideration of extraordinary corporate transactions. Mr. Ortwein has represented over 50 public companies in a variety of industries in the areas of corporate governance, securities compliance, public and private securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions. Specifically, Mr. Ortwein has represented public companies and investment banks in over 75 public equity and debt securities offerings with proceeds of over $40 billion and has been involved in more than 90 public and private company mergers, acquisitions and dispositions with consideration of over $15 billion.
Mr. Ortwein was named Securities/Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year in Atlanta by The Best Lawyers in America (2014) and is listed in a number of publications as a leading corporate attorney, including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities/Capital Markets. Mr. Ortwein received his M.B.A. and J.D. from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Represented AuthenTec, a leading provider of security and identity management solutions, in four recent acquisitions and its $360 million sale to Apple.
- Represented AuthenTec in its defense of a hostile takeover attempt by a competitor and its subsequent acquisition of the competitor.
- Represented Silverpop, a leader in pinpoint marketing messaging, in its sale to IBM.
- Represented Sally Beauty, the leading distributor of beauty supplies in North America, in four recent secondary offerings of common stock by one of the world’s leading private equity funds with proceeds of approximately $2 billion and public debt offerings by the company of $1.8 billion.
- Represented Graphic Packaging, a leading provider of paperboard packaging, in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Altivity Packaging, a portfolio company of one of the world’s leading private equity funds.
- Represented Gold Kist, the third largest integrated chicken company in the United States, in several transactions, including (i) its defense of a hostile takeover and subsequent negotiated sale for $1.25 billion, (ii) a $200 million 144A debt offering, and (iii) its $600 million conversion/recapitalization from a cooperative to a for-profit company and related $150 million initial public offering of common stock.
- Represented Mohawk Industries, the largest floor covering company in the world, in its $1.7 billion acquisition of a leading producer of ceramic tile and its $700 million 144A debt offering used to refinance short-term indebtedness incurred to finance the acquisition.
- Represented Graphic Packaging in (i) four recent disposition and one recent acquisition with consideration in excess of $250 million, (ii) multiple public debt offerings aggregating $1.1 billion and related tender offers, (iii) a $225 million public common stock offering by the company and (iv) six public secondary offerings of common stock with aggregate proceeds of over $1.7 billion.
- Represented BofA Merrill Lynch in two $100 million and one $75 million convertible debt offerings by Jakks Pacific, a leading designer and marketer of toys and consumer products.
- Represented leading international investment banks in several public offerings of debt securities and related debt tender offers by the Coca Cola Company aggregating in excess of $21 billion.
- Represented BofA Merrill Lynch in its role as underwriter and financial advisor to Diamond Foods, a leader in culinary and snack nut products in connection with its $150 million conversion/recapitalization from a cooperative to a for-profit company and related $90 million initial public offering of common stock.
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the News
An Alston & Bird team led by Scott Ortwein that included Justin Howard, Kyle Healy, Charlie Yates, Clay Littlefield and Julie Mediamolle represented Graphic Packaging in a series of public offerings with proceeds totaling in excess of $1.7 billion.
May 22, 2014
In the News
An Alston & Bird team assisted Silverpop, an Atlanta-based company that specializes in pinpointing marketing messages based on real-time online activities, with its sale to tech giant IBM for an undisclosed sum.
May 12, 2014
In the News
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the News
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the News