Scott Ortwein is co-leader of Alston & Bird’s Corporate Transactions Department. Mr. Ortwein’s practice is concentrated in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Ortwein regularly advises Boards of Directors and Committees of Boards of Directors in their consideration of extraordinary corporate transactions. Mr. Ortwein has represented over 50 public companies in a variety of industries in the areas of corporate governance, securities compliance, public and private securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions. Specifically, Mr. Ortwein has represented public companies and investment banks in over 65 public equity and debt securities offerings with proceeds of over $40 billion and has been involved in more than 75 public and private company mergers, acquisitions and dispositions with consideration of over $15 billion.
Mr. Ortwein was named Securities/Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year in Atlanta by The Best Lawyers in America (2014) and is listed in a number of publications as a leading corporate attorney, including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America in the practice areas of Mergers & Acquisitions Law and Securities/Capital Markets. Mr. Ortwein received his M.B.A. and J.D. from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Represented a leading provider of security and identity management solutions in its defense of a hostile takeover attempt by a competitor and its subsequent acquisition of the competitor.
- Represented a leading provider of security and identity management solutions in four recent acquisitions and its $360 million sale to the largest technology company in the world.
- Represented the leading distributor of beauty supplies in North America in four recent secondary offerings of common stock by one of the world’s leading private equity funds with proceeds of approximately $2 billion and public debt offerings by the company of $1.45 billion of senior notes.
- Represented a leading provider of paperboard packaging in its $1.8 billion acquisition of a competitor.
- Represented the third largest integrated chicken company in the United States in several transactions, including (i) its defense of a hostile takeover and subsequent negotiated sale for $1.25 billion, (ii) a $200 million 144A debt offering, and (iii) its $600 million conversion/recapitalization from a cooperative to a for-profit company and related $150 million initial public offering of common stock.
- Represented the largest floor covering company in the world in its $1.7 billion acquisition of a leading producer of ceramic tile and its $700 million 144A debt offering used to refinance short-term indebtedness incurred to finance the acquisition.
- Represented a leading provider of paperboard packaging in (i) a $700 million joint venture, (ii) multiple recent public debt offerings aggregating $685 million and related tender offers, (iii) a $225 million public common stock offering by the company and (iv) four public secondary offerings of an aggregate of over $600 million.
- Represented a leading investment bank in two $100 million convertible debt offerings by a leading designer and marketer of toys and consumer products.
- Represented leading international investment banks in several public offerings of debt securities and related debt tender offers by the world’s largest beverage company aggregating in excess of $21 billion.
- Represented leading international investment banks in a £200 million international public offering of debt securities and a $201 million 144A convertible debt offering by a world leader in the manufacture, marketing and distribution of agricultural equipment.
- Represented a leading international investment bank in its role as underwriter and financial advisor to a leader in culinary and snack nut products in connection with its $150 million conversion/recapitalization from a cooperative to a for-profit company and related $90 million initial public offering of common stock.
- Represented a leading enterprise management software company in its sale to a private equity fund for $250 million.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
Scott Ortwein, partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities Group, was quoted in a Corporate Board Member article discussing the M&A outlook for 2012.
November 5, 2012
In the Press
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The publication is universally regarded as among the few definitive guides to legal excellence, and its rankings are based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 36,000 leading attorneys cast almost 4.4 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas.
September 18, 2012
In the Press
June 7, 2012
In the Press