Charlie Morgan concentrates in litigation and government and internal investigations regarding occupational safety and health, employment and traditional labor matters. He also develops programs for compliance with safety and health laws and federal sentencing guidelines.
Mr. Morgan represents companies nationally in investigations and litigation regarding major industrial and mining accidents, in class and collective actions, and in anti-union campaigns. He served as lead counsel for Imperial Sugar Company in connection with its sugar refinery explosion in 2008.
Mr. Morgan joined Alston & Bird LLP in 1988 and is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Labor & Employment.
- Lead counsel in the representation of Imperial Sugar Company in the aftermath of a major explosion of a sugar refinery resulting in 14 fatalities; representation in investigations by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, U.S. Chemical Safety Board and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
- Representation of a wireless carrier in defeat of nationwide class certification in an action alleging noncompliance with a pay commissions plan in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, Miami Division, and before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Lead counsel in the representation of a quick-service restaurant in a nationwide class action under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, Miami Division.
- Lead counsel in victories in anti-union campaigns against the Teamsters, PACE International, Steelworkers, Sheet Metal Workers, United Mine Workers and Iron Workers in Texas, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Illinois and Georgia.
- Lead counsel defending against Mine Safety and Health Administration enforcement actions regarding mining fatalities.
- Lead counsel in obtaining defense verdicts in jury and bench trials alleging race discrimination, racial harassment, sex harassment and ADA Title III violations in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Tampa Division; U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, Albany Division; and U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division.
- Lead counsel in the representation of a financial services company regarding nationwide claims under Title III of the ADA and state laws relating to access to web services.
- Representation of a paper and wood products company in a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit decision declaring an OSHA standard void for vagueness under the U.S. constitution.
- Representation of a paper and wood products company in the aftermath of an explosion resulting in three fatalities and the defense of an early interpretation of OSHA's process safety management standard.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press