Richard Grice is a partner in the Finance Group. He previously served an eight-year term as leader of the group and currently serves on the firm’s Financial Advisory Committee. Mr. Grice’s practice focuses on the representation of domestic and foreign commercial banks, underwriters and debt issuers in a variety of financings, including leveraged buyouts and other acquisition financings, public debt issues, private placements, cross-border financings, recapitalizations and various asset-based financings. He also represents creditors and debtors in pre-bankruptcy restructurings and Chapter 11 proceedings.
Mr. Grice has been recognized by his peers as one of the foremost lawyers in his area of expertise, including top ranking in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business and a listing in Super Lawyers magazine since its inception, and he has been voted one of The Best Lawyers in America© for well over a decade.
- Represented Synovus Bank as agent bank in the restructuring of approximately $500 million of debt of the Sea Island Company and in connection with the subsequent sale of the resort through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represents Regions Bank as the administrative agent in numerous acquisition financings for sponsor-led transactions in the health care sector.
- Represented Graphic Packaging Corporation, an Atlanta-based public company, in connection with its $1.3 billion of debt financing for the acquisition of Altivity, LLC, a portfolio company of Texas Pacific Group, and in connection with its $2 billion credit agreement refinancing.
- Represented Sally Beauty, a worldwide retailer and distributor of professional beauty supplies, in connection with its $400 million asset-based revolver and in connection with its issuance of $750 million of senior notes.
- Represented an equipment lessor/vendor in connection with a multitranche $150 million leasing facility of computer hardware to a technology concern.
- Represents a large regional financial institution in the creation of its loan sale financing program and in numerous seller-financings of various loan portfolios.
- Represented the administrative agent and letter of credit bank at the height of the financial crisis in connection with a $319 million refinancing and conversion of certain tax-exempt auction rate securities into tax-exempt variable rate demand securities issued by a municipal financing authority and supported by a receivables securitization program sponsored by an operator of 37 hospitals in 10 states.
- Represented a leading distributor of health care products in its $400 million asset-based loan facility and in connection with its issuance of $250 million of senior notes.
- Represented a southeastern "bundled" telecommunications provider in its successful "prepackaged" bankruptcy proceeding relating to $444 million in high-yield bonds and approximately $55 million in senior secured bank debt; the “prepack” resulted in a debt reduction of approximately $250 million for approximately a 19 percent equity interest in the company.
- Represented a project sponsor in connection with the $200 million project financing of certain mining operations in the Amazon Basin, Brazil; coordinated complex debt and equity participations from U.S., French, German, Japanese and Brazilian investors, including significant Brazilian pre-export secured financings from Credit Lyonnais (New York and Paris offices), Bayerische Hypo-und Vereinsbank AG (Munich office) and Sumitomo Corporation (New York and Tokyo offices).
- Represented a major Atlanta-based telecommunications company in connection with over $2 billion of bank financing for certain of its Latin American properties.