Mike McCoy is a past coordinator of Alston & Bird's Intellectual Property Groups and a past member of the firm's Partners' Committee. He has more than 35 years of experience specializing in intellectual property and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mike continues to be recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America, elected to North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in intellectual property, named in Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2012 in the area of Patents and he is a certified licensing professional. He is responsible for all aspects of intellectual property—patents, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition and trade secrets—and practices primarily in the electronics and information technology fields, including software and business method patents. His work includes enforcing patent rights, defending against threats and actions brought by others, conducting investigations for pre-litigation risk assessment and patent clearances (non-infringement and invalidity), licensing and evaluating patent portfolios, and securing domestic and foreign patent protection. He serves on the board of IP Litigator, and has also pioneered an interactive patent mapping tool for portfolio assessment and strategic planning.
- Counsel to companies in enforcing patents and trade secrets in a variety of technologies.
- Counsel to companies in defending claims for patent infringement in the electronic and software fields.
- Counsel to companies in expanding their intellectual property assets, developing licensing programs and confirming freedom to operate.
- Counsel to companies in transactions, assessing the value and relevance of intellectual property portfolios, including cash valuations.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
Patent Law Expert Witness
- Silicon Graphics, Inc. v. nVidia Corp., United States District Court, For The District of Delaware, Civil Action No. 98-188.
- Precor Inc. v. Brunswick Corp., United States District Court, Western District of Washington at Seattle, Civil Action No.: C00-1392P.