Mike McCoy is a past coordinator of Alston & Bird's Intellectual Property Groups and a past member of the firm's Partners' Committee. He has more than 35 years of experience specializing in intellectual property and is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mike continues to be recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America, elected to North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in intellectual property, named in Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2012 in the area of Patents and he is a certified licensing professional. He is responsible for all aspects of intellectual property—patents, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition and trade secrets—and practices primarily in the electronics and information technology fields, including software and business method patents. His work includes enforcing patent rights, defending against threats and actions brought by others, conducting investigations for pre-litigation risk assessment and patent clearances (non-infringement and invalidity), licensing and evaluating patent portfolios, and securing domestic and foreign patent protection. He serves on the board of IP Litigator, and has also pioneered an interactive patent mapping tool for portfolio assessment and strategic planning.
- Counsel to companies in enforcing patents and trade secrets in a variety of technologies.
- Counsel to companies in defending claims for patent infringement in the electronic and software fields.
- Counsel to companies in expanding their intellectual property assets, developing licensing programs and confirming freedom to operate.
- Counsel to companies in transactions, assessing the value and relevance of intellectual property portfolios, including cash valuations.
Alston & Bird has earned wide recognition in the 2016 edition of Chambers USA, the peer review directory of leading U.S. business lawyers.
May 27, 2016
Seventeen Alston & Bird attorneys have been named “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine. The attorneys are selected based on the publication’s annual research into the IP market, as well as publicly available information and client and peer comments. The listed attorneys and their practices are:
May 16, 2016
Alston & Bird clients Navico, Inc., and Navico Holding AS scored a major victory yesterday when the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) issued a final determination that Garmin International, Inc., and related Garmin entities infringed on Navico’s core patents covering sonar imaging technologies.
December 2, 2015
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
Alston & Bird has earned broad recognition in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA, the peer review directory of leading U.S. business lawyers.
May 20, 2015
Patent Law Expert Witness
- Silicon Graphics, Inc. v. nVidia Corp., United States District Court, For The District of Delaware, Civil Action No. 98-188.
- Precor Inc. v. Brunswick Corp., United States District Court, Western District of Washington at Seattle, Civil Action No.: C00-1392P.