Peter Kontio is co-chair of the firm’s overall Litigation Area—comprised of 330 lawyers—and is one of the few partners to have been elected to two four-year terms on the firm’s Partners’ Committee. Peter specializes in antitrust and other business litigation, as well as arbitrations. He also defends against government investigations and conducts internal investigations. Peter has defended antitrust or consumer class actions in Alabama, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington State. He has defended antitrust and competition law investigations in Australia, Canada, Europe, Japan, Korea and the United States, and has conducted internal investigations in Asia, North and South America and Europe.
Peter leads several Alston & Bird client teams that serve NYSE-traded corporations in the telecommunications, technology, automotive and food service industries. A highly regarded litigator, Peter is recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of General Commercial Litigation and in Antitrust Litigation. He is repeatedly listed in Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers, and has twice been named a Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting.
Peter received his A.B., with high honors in economics, from Clark University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School, where he served on The University of Chicago Law Review.
- Successful defense of California antitrust and unfair practices litigation in Orange County Superior Court.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Minnesota.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Ohio, affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Maryland, including the defeat of an attempted TRO.
- Advice on the formation and successful defense of an Antitrust Division investigation of a joint venture among competitors.
- Successful defense of an FTC investigation of patent licensing practices.
- Ongoing defense of federal antitrust grand jury and foreign competition law investigations.
- Ongoing representation of a corporate plaintiff in multidistrict antitrust litigation in San Francisco regarding liquid crystal displays.
- Strategic advisor regarding resolution of claims exceeding $1 billion.
- ICC arbitrations involving a total of over $750 million in claimed damages.
- Strategic advice regarding CPSC and global product issues.
- Successfully defended a major telecommunications company in class actions and other complex litigation in Washington, California, Colorado, New York, Illinois and Florida, and in International Chamber of Commerce arbitrations.
- Successfully defended a credit reporting company in antitrust litigation in state and federal courts in California and in federal court in Ohio.
- Successfully defended a telecommunications company in class actions in Washington, California, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan and Florida.
- Successfully defended major agribusiness in class action litigation in Alabama and in arbitrations in California and the District of Columbia.
- Successfully represented clients in connection with government investigations, including the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, the Federal Communications Commission and various states attorneys general.
- American Bar Association, Antitrust and Litigation Sections
- Former President and Judicially Appointed Board Member, Federal Defenders Program, Northern District of Georgia