Peter Kontio specializes in antitrust and other business litigation, arbitrations and internal and government investigations. Peter has defended antitrust or consumer class actions in Alabama, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington State. He has defended antitrust and competition law investigations in Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, South Africa, South Korea and the United States and has conducted internal investigations in Asia, North and South America and Europe regarding potential antitrust, foreign corrupt practices and export control issues.
Peter leads several Alston & Bird client teams that serve NYSE-traded corporations in the telecommunications, technology, automotive and food service industries. A highly regarded litigator, Peter is recognized in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of General Commercial Litigation and Antitrust Litigation. He is repeatedly listed in Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers and has twice been named a Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting.
Peter is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Clark University, with high honors in economics. He received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School, where he served on The University of Chicago Law Review.
- Successful defense of a major telecommunications products manufacturer in class actions and other complex litigation in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, New York and Washington and in International Chamber of Commerce arbitrations.
- Successful defense of a national credit reporting company in antitrust litigation in state and federal courts in California and in federal court in Maryland, Minnesota and Ohio.
- Successful defense of a wireless telecommunications provider in class actions in California, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Washington.
- Successful defense of a major agribusiness in class action litigation in Alabama and in arbitrations in California and the District of Columbia.
- Advised on the formation, and successful defense of an Antitrust Division investigation, of a joint venture among the three largest competitors in an industry.
- Successful defense of an FTC inquiry into patent licensing practices.
- Numerous federal antitrust grand jury and foreign competition law investigations.
- Representation of a corporate plaintiff in multidistrict antitrust litigation in San Francisco regarding liquid crystal displays.
- ICC arbitrations involving a total of more than $1 billion in claimed damages.
- Strategic advice regarding CPSC and global product recall issues.
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the News
Trends features updates on key litigation issues and highlights Alston & Bird's broad and diverse litigation practices. Our Winter 2015 edition is filled with a variety of short articles addressing interesting and timely topics.
January 7, 2015
Trends features updates on key litigation issues and highlights Alston & Bird's broad and diverse litigation practices. In this edition, we are pleased to share with you examples of our recent courtroom victories.
July 4, 2014
- American Bar Association, Antitrust and Litigation Sections
- Former president and judicially appointed board member, Federal Defender Program, Northern District of Georgia