Peter Kontio is co-chair of the firm’s Litigation Group—comprised of 330 lawyers—and is one of the few partners to have been elected to two four-year terms on the firm’s Partners’ Committee. Peter specializes in antitrust and other business litigation, as well as arbitrations. He also defends against government investigations and conducts internal investigations. Peter has defended antitrust or consumer class actions in various states, including California, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio, Florida and Washington. He has also defended antitrust and competition law investigations in the United States, Europe and Japan, and conducted internal investigations in the United States, South America and Europe.
Peter leads or co-leads numerous Alston & Bird client teams, including Autoliv, Dell, Equifax, McDonald’s, Nokia, T-Mobile and the Technical Association of the Pulp & Paper Industry. A highly regarded litigator, he is repeatedly listed in Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers, and was named a Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting.
Peter received his A.B in economics, with high honors, from Clark University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School, where he served on The University of Chicago Law Review.
- Successful defense of California antitrust and unfair practices litigation in Orange County Superior Court.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Minnesota.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Ohio, affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
- Successful defense of federal antitrust litigation in Maryland, including the defeat of an attempted TRO.
- Advice on the formation and successful defense of an Antitrust Division investigation of a joint venture among competitors.
- Successful defense of an FTC investigation of patent licensing practices.
- Ongoing defense of federal antitrust grand jury and foreign competition law investigations.
- Ongoing representation of a corporate plaintiff in multidistrict antitrust litigation in San Francisco regarding liquid crystal displays.
- Strategic advisor regarding resolution of claims exceeding $1 billion.
- ICC arbitrations involving a total of over $750 million in claimed damages.
- Strategic advice regarding CPSC and global product issues.
- Successfully defended a major telecommunications company in class actions and other complex litigation in Washington, California, Colorado, New York, Illinois and Florida, and in International Chamber of Commerce arbitrations.
- Successfully defended a credit reporting company in antitrust litigation in state and federal courts in California and in federal court in Ohio.
- Successfully defended a telecommunications company in class actions in Washington, California, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan and Florida.
- Successfully defended major agribusiness in class action litigation in Alabama and in arbitrations in California and the District of Columbia.
- Successfully represented clients in connection with government investigations, including the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, the Federal Communications Commission and various states attorneys general.
- American Bar Association, Antitrust and Litigation Sections
- Former President and Judicially Appointed Board Member, Federal Defenders Program, Northern District of Georgia