Tony Balloon is an Atlanta partner in the Financial Services & Products Group. He concentrates his practice on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Mr. Balloon combines significant international transactional and M&A experience with a deep knowledge of payments (including health care payments) and financial technology, including common business models and regulatory requirements. Mr. Balloon spent two years working in Brussels, Belgium, and has advised clients on complex international transactions throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, including advice on new market entry and new product rollout.
Mr. Balloon represents a diverse set of clients, primarily in banking and finance, merchant acquiring, card issuers, B2B payment companies, healthcare payments and emerging payments technology (including mobile, person-to-person and account-to-account payments).
Mr. Balloon clerked for the Honorable Frank M. Hull of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He received his J.D., with high honors, from the Emory School of Law and his B.S., with honors, from the University of Florida's Fisher School of Accounting.
- Representation of one of the top five U.S. financial institutions in establishing, de novo, a licensed banking institution in Europe; the regulatory and tax driven restructuring of its pan-European operations (with substantial physical operations in Belgium, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain and the United Kingdom); and preparing various business lines for roll-out within all the countries of the European Economic Area.
- Representation of the purchaser in the acquisition of a European division from the world's then-largest financial institution. This division conducted business across Europe with physical operations spread over four jurisdictions.
- Representation of a financial services provider’s initial entry into the Mexican marketplace via establishment of a complex strategic alliance utilizing a novel tax structure with an established Mexican financial institution.
- Representation of one of the world's largest financial institutions in the development of its multinational commercial card program documentation, including customer and cardholder agreements for use in multiple countries.
- Representation of a top-five U.S. financial institution in the establishment and rollout of its European commercial card program, including negotiation of third-party network issuance and processing agreements.
- Representation of a top-five U.S. merchant acquirer in multiple bank merchant portfolio acquisitions.
Health Care Payments
- Representation of multiple health and benefit card issuers in their analysis of the impact of the Durbin Amendment to the Dodd-Frank Act and the Federal Reserve Board's implementation of Regulation II.
- Representation of financial institutions, third-party administrators and other interested parties in the strategic evaluation of opportunities in the U.S. health insurance exchange market.
- Representation of financial institutions, merchant acquirers and financial technology companies regarding the impact of HIPAA and the HITECH Act on payment transactions and related financial technology.