Blake Estes is a member of the firm’s Financial Services & Products Group where he counsels asset managers on all aspects of the development and distribution of alternative investment products, including registered investment companies, business development companies and other permanent or long-term capital structures, as well as hedge funds and private equity funds. His practice focuses on product structuring, compliance, operations and fundraising within complex regulatory frameworks, including the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Dodd-Frank Act, FINRA regulations and applicable state regulations.
Prior to joining Alston & Bird, Blake was general counsel for a manager and distributor of retail alternative investment products, including an externally managed, public, non-traded business development company, and a senior lawyer for a manager of hedge funds and separately managed accounts employing relative value and macro fixed income and equity strategies.
Blake received his J.D. from Georgetown University, where he was a John M. Olin Fellow, and his B.A., with honors, in economics from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Investment product launches, including fund structuring and formation.
- Public offerings and private placements of fund securities.
- Negotiation and drafting of wholesale and retail distribution agreements.
- Development of compliance programs and manuals.
- Regulatory approval processes, including exemptive relief applications.
- Negotiation and drafting of investment advisory agreements.
- Negotiation and drafting of cash and synthetic financing arrangements.
- Negotiation and drafting of other vendor agreements, including administrative agreements, custody agreements, trading and clearing agreements and technology vendor agreements.
- Financial reporting pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Managed Funds Association
- Investment Program Association
- New York City Bar Association