Chris Baugher, a partner in the Financial Services & Products Group, is dual-qualified as a Georgia attorney and a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales. Mr. Baugher has represented private and public companies in significant mergers, acquisitions and strategic alliances throughout North America, Asia and Europe.
Mr. Baugher has in-depth experience advising clients in the electronic payments industry, including financial institutions, merchant acquirers, large retailers, prepaid program managers and new payments technology companies. Mr. Baugher previously served as the dedicated on-site legal counsel in Dublin, Ireland, for a client that is the fourth-largest merchant acquirer in Europe. He has also spent a significant amount of time based in Brussels, Belgium, assisting clients in the financial technology industry with cross-border transactions and matters related to the Credit Card Associations.
Mr. Baugher attended the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice as part of his training to become a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales. Mr. Baugher earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, and his B.A. from Wake Forest University. He has been recognized as a member of “Georgia’s Legal Elite” by Georgia Trend magazine.
- Represented a leading U.S. financial institution in negotiating a long-term joint venture for payment processing services.
- Advised an innovative business services company with operations in North America and China in its sale to a private equity buyer for a purchase price in excess of $75 million dollars.
- Assisted one of the world’s largest retailers in negotiating an agreement with a financial institution to provide and manage the retailer’s private label credit card program.
- Advised one of the top ten U.S. financial institutions in establishing a licensed banking institution in Europe, qualifying this new bank as a member of VISA and MasterCard, and managing the related regulatory and tax-driven restructuring issues required for various business lines seeking to operate within all the countries of the European Economic Area.
- Represented NOVA Corporation (NYSE: NIS) in connection with a $2.1 billion merger with U.S. Bancorp.
- Advised a leading payroll card program manager in negotiating new customer contracts with some of the largest retailers in the United States.
- Drafted the RFP, managed the selection of a new credit card processor and negotiated a new merchant agreement on behalf of a public company.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with its formation of a $100 million fund.
- Negotiated the principal documents and managed legal team for the merger of a U.S.-based bakery supplier into a Dutch public company for a purchase price in excess of $300 million.
- Negotiated the acquisition of numerous strategic merchant contract portfolios in the United States, the United Kingdom, Poland and Norway, and drafted the related long-term alliance agreements with the selling bank for each acquisition.