David Alban focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and counseling. He has a broad range of experience litigating complex patent and trade secret disputes, particularly in the software and electronics industries. His cases have involved technologies such as cell phones, cellular communications, integrated circuits and their manufacture, lasers, design automation software, file management software, computer memory, digital televisions, LEDs and sonar products.
Mr. Alban received his J.D. from the University of California at Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) in 2005, where he served as an editor for the California Law Review, as well as the Berkeley Technology Law Journal. With a focus on intellectual property and technology law, Mr. Alban earned Boalt’s certificate in law and technology and served as a fellow at the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology.
- Represented an ophthalmic laser manufacturer in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Missouri. Obtained a summary judgment of infringement and entered into a settlement with the accused infringer.
- Represented a maker of semiconductor design automation software in the defense and assertion of patent and related antitrust claims in the District of Delaware. The case was settled on confidential terms.
- Represented a large university in a patent infringement suit concerning bovine growth hormone in the Northern District of California. The case was resolved in a $100-plus million settlement for the university.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of graphic design software in defense of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract claims. The case was settled on confidential terms.
- Represented one of the world’s largest cellular communications companies in patent infringement litigation in the District of Delaware and the International Trade Commission.
- Defended the third largest non-profit public health care system against trade secret and breach of contract allegations brought in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented a consulting group against breach of contract allegations brought in the District of Nevada concerning a software services contract.
- Defended a leader in online real estate against patent infringement allegations brought in the Northern District of California. Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Represented a marine electronics manufacturer in patent infringement litigation in the Middle District of Alabama.