David Detjen, a partner in the New York office, is the leader of the firm’s German Practice Team.
His practice is concentrated on the representation of European clients regarding U.S. legal matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing of intellectual property and general corporate and commercial issues. He has represented German and European clients, either as buyers or sellers, in over 60 joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions, including auction purchases and sales, and serves as outside general counsel to the U.S. operations of various European companies in various industries, including one of Europe’s largest manufacturers of skin creams, Germany’s largest brewer and a leading European manufacturer of specialty papers.
In addition to degrees from Washington University in St. Louis, Mr. Detjen studied law and history at the Eberhard-Karls-Universitaet in Tuebingen, Germany, and he speaks and writes German. He has been listed in the New York Super Lawyers magazine.
- Has advised a leading European manufacturer of skincare products in business activities in the United States for over 30 years, including in over a half-dozen acquisitions and sales.
- Represented a German biopharma supply company in an extensive standardization of its operational contracts intended for its customers and suppliers.
- Advised a German enterprise in connection with a proposed restructuring of its general lines of business.
- Advised a leading German manufacturer of valves and pumps on a series of U.S. acquisitions over a two-year period.
- Has completed over 60 M&A joint venture transactions in his practice.
- Former Vice Chairman of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association and Editor-in-Chief/Executive Editor of the Section’s International Law Practicum for 25 years.
- Member of the Committee on International Legal Practice of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
- Member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.
- Member of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis.
- Member of the Boards of Overseers for both the School of Law and the School of Visual Arts and Design at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Chairman, Vice Chairman, or Board Member of a number of organizations, both in the United States and in Germany, promoting trade, commercial and cultural ties between the U.S. and Germany.
- Member of the Representative Town Meeting (municipal legislature) of Greenwich, Connecticut.