Mr. Teske is the head of the Technology, Privacy & IP Transactions Group, and a thought leader and frequent speaker on legal issues ranging from licensing to digital entertainment to open source software. He concentrates his practice on the exploitation, leveraging and transfer of technology and intellectual property rights through complex transfer and licensing transactions.
Mr. Teske works with all types of clients, from Fortune 50 corporations to start-up companies. He has extensive experience in patent and software licensing; diligence of intellectual property portfolios in the M&A context; and counseling clients on the establishment, exploitation and maintenance of their intellectual property portfolios. Mr. Teske is also particularly well-versed in portfolio management. Throughout his career, he has prepared and filed patent applications, trademark registration applications, copyright registration applications, and has litigated patent, trademark and copyright infringement actions—as his tremendous skill base affords well-rounded expertise.
Mr. Teske received both his J.D. degree and a B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University at Buffalo, and is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Represented an early stage company in a transaction to license its femtocell technology to a larger consumer electronics company for incorporation into a mass-market consumer product.
- Represented a municipal entity to establish a fiber-optic based “Triple-Play” (Internet-phone-video) service for consumers and businesses.
- Represented a major mobile phone handset manufacturer in the in-licensing of an operating system for its handsets.
- Represented a major U.S. wireless carrier in securing exclusive rights to distribute a groundbreaking smartphone.
- Counseled a leading manufacturer of biometric based security systems for non-fixed assets on open source issues.
- Represented an airline scheduling and planning software provider in the acquisition of new business lines.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company with intellectual property and technology issues during the divestiture of a software-based business line.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Alston & Bird’s various intellectual property groups have ranked highly in Intellectual Asset Management magazine’s recently released 2013 adjunct publication, IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals. The firm earned Gold (the highest) rankings overall in both Georgia and North Carolina, and for the first time appeared in the Washington, D.C. litigation category, coming in with a Bronze ranking.
June 6, 2013
In the Press
Intellectual Property Group partner and IP Technology Transactions Group head David Teske has been named to the board of directors of TechBridge, a nonprofit that leverages technology to empower the nonprofits that impact the Atlanta community.
December 3, 2012
In the Press
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The publication is universally regarded as among the few definitive guides to legal excellence, and its rankings are based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 36,000 leading attorneys cast almost 4.4 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas.
September 18, 2012
In the Press