David Teske leads the Technology & Privacy Team and is a thought leader and frequent speaker on legal issues ranging from licensing to digital entertainment to open source software. He concentrates his practice on the exploitation, leveraging and transfer of technology and intellectual property rights through complex transfer and licensing transactions and sourcing transactions, particularly representing purchasers of cloud-based services.
David works with all types of clients, from Fortune 50 corporations to startup companies. He has extensive experience in patent and software licensing, diligence of intellectual property portfolios in the M&A context and counseling clients on the establishment, exploitation and maintenance of their intellectual property portfolios. He is also particularly well-versed in portfolio management. Throughout his career, he has prepared and filed patent applications, trademark registration applications and copyright registration applications, and he has litigated patent, trademark and copyright infringement actions as his tremendous skill base affords well-rounded knowledge and experience.
David has been named a 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in Information Technology Law by The Best Lawyers in America©. He received both his J.D. degree and B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University at Buffalo and is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Represented an early-stage company in a transaction to license its femtocell technology to a larger consumer electronics company for incorporation into a mass market consumer product.
- Represented a major air carrier in transferring its employee scheduling and human capital management function to a cloud-based solution.
- Represented a municipal entity in establishing a fiber-optic-based “triple play” (Internet-phone-video) service for consumers and businesses.
- Represented a major mobile phone handset manufacturer in the in-licensing of an operating system for its handsets.
- Counseled a financial services client in adopting a cloud-based platform for investment information.
- Represented a major U.S. wireless carrier in securing exclusive rights to distribute a groundbreaking smartphone.
- Counseled a leading manufacturer of biometric-based security systems for non-fixed assets on open source issues.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in the establishment of a mixed hosted/virtual private cloud environment.
- Represented an airline scheduling and planning software provider in the acquisition of new business lines.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company with intellectual property and technology issues during the divestiture of a software-based business line.
Chris Baugher, Scott Kitchens, Scott Harty, John Coalson, David Teske, Blake MacKay, Ian Calhoun, and Michael Giovannini are mentioned for advising client Fleetcor Technologies, Inc., in a joint venture with First Data.
March 10, 2017
In the News
Alston & Bird client FirstCash, Inc., has completed the merger of equals between First Cash Financial Services, Inc., and Cash America International, Inc., two of the world’s leading pawn lenders.
September 6, 2016
One-hundred and sixty Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight offices in the United States and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 16, 2016
Alston & Bird has been recognized as a global leader in patent law in the 2016 edition of Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, marking the fifth consecutive year that the firm has earned this recognition.
June 16, 2016
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Information Technology Law
- State Bar of Georgia, IP Law Section
- Techbridge Inc. (a nonprofit corporation that builds technology solutions for other not-for-profit entities), board of directors