David Teske is the head of the Technology, Privacy & IP Transactions Group and a thought leader and frequent speaker on legal issues ranging from licensing to digital entertainment to open source software. He concentrates his practice on the exploitation, leveraging and transfer of technology and intellectual property rights through complex transfer and licensing transactions and sourcing transactions, particularly representing purchasers of cloud-based services.
Mr. Teske works with all types of clients, from Fortune 50 corporations to startup companies. He has extensive experience in patent and software licensing, diligence of intellectual property portfolios in the M&A context and counseling clients on the establishment, exploitation and maintenance of their intellectual property portfolios. Mr. Teske is also particularly well-versed in portfolio management. Throughout his career, he has prepared and filed patent applications, trademark registration applications and copyright registration applications, and he has litigated patent, trademark and copyright infringement actions as his tremendous skill base affords well-rounded knowledge and experience.
Mr. Teske received both his J.D. degree and B.S. in aerospace engineering from the University at Buffalo and is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Represented an early-stage company in a transaction to license its femtocell technology to a larger consumer electronics company for incorporation into a mass market consumer product.
- Represented a major air carrier in transferring its employee scheduling and human capital management function to a cloud-based solution.
- Represented a municipal entity in establishing a fiber-optic-based “triple play” (Internet-phone-video) service for consumers and businesses.
- Represented a major mobile phone handset manufacturer in the in-licensing of an operating system for its handsets.
- Counseled a financial services client in adopting a cloud-based platform for investment information.
- Represented a major U.S. wireless carrier in securing exclusive rights to distribute a groundbreaking smartphone.
- Counseled a leading manufacturer of biometric-based security systems for non-fixed assets on open source issues.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in the establishment of a mixed hosted/virtual private cloud environment.
- Represented an airline scheduling and planning software provider in the acquisition of new business lines.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company with intellectual property and technology issues during the divestiture of a software-based business line.
Alston & Bird has been recognized as a global leader in patent law in the 2015 edition of Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, marking the fourth consecutive year that the firm has earned this recognition.
June 18, 2015
Alston & Bird client Mohawk Industries, Inc., has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire IVC Group, a Belgium-based flooring manufacturer, for approximately $1.2 billion in cash and equity.
January 14, 2015
Alston & Bird client Zebra Technologies Corporation has completed its acquisition of the enterprise business of Motorola Solutions, Inc., for $3.45 billion. The transaction involved more than 5,000 employees and contractors in over 50 countries and facilities located at over 100 sites.
October 31, 2014
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Alston & Bird’s various intellectual property groups have ranked highly in Intellectual Asset Management magazine’s recently released 2014 adjunct publication, IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals.
June 25, 2014
In the News
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer in America for Information Technology Law.
- State Bar of Georgia, IP Law Section
- Board of directors, Techbridge, Inc., a nonprofit corporation that builds technology solutions for other not-for-profit entities.