Dawnmarie Matlock is a partner in the Health Care Group and is the firm’s HIPAA Privacy Officer. She has counseled clients on health care regulatory matters for more than twenty years.
Dawnmarie has extensive experience advising clients who are the focus of government investigations and other enforcement actions. She also specializes in the health care regulatory aspects of complex health care transactions, focusing particularly on compliance with the federal Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law. Dawnmarie works with a variety of providers and entities in the health care industry, including health care systems, post-acute care providers, outsource and specialty providers, health plans, medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Dawnmarie regularly advises clients on a wide variety of federal and state regulatory health care issues and matters, including Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, HIPAA compliance, TJC compliance and appeal hearings, graduate medical education, certificate of need, corporate practice of medicine and managed care contracting.
Dawnmarie received her J.D., with Distinction, from Emory University School of Law in 1991. Prior to law school, Dawnmarie received a B.S.N. from Wright State University and practiced as a registered nurse in Ohio and Georgia, specializing in adult intensive care nursing and emergency room nursing.
- Counsel to a wide range of health care providers on a variety of federal and state regulatory, compliance, transactional and government investigation matters.
- Counsel to numerous providers, including hospitals, physician groups, home health agencies, hospices and skilled nursing facilities in internal investigations, government enforcement actions and qui tam litigation.
- Counsel to health care providers that submitted self-disclosures to CMS, the OIG and the state Medicaid Inspectors General.
- Counsel to private equity firms and other health care industry clients in the analysis of health care regulatory issues related to strategic joint ventures and other complex transactions.
- Counsel to health care industry clients on compliance plan development, implementation and auditing.
- Counsel to health care providers and private equity firms on compliance risk assessment and the integration of newly acquired businesses.
- Counsel to entities subject to HIPAA and HITECH Act regulation on compliance, breach assessment and disclosure to the OCR.
- Emory Healthcare Advisory Board
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Georgia Academy of Health Care Attorneys
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Bar