Della Wager Wells is a member of the Corporate & Finance, Energy & Finance and Public Finance Groups, and concentrates her practice in energy finance for public gas and public power in areas including authority representation, and related corporate, tax and securities matters involving taxable and tax-exempt financings for gas and electric facilities and commodities. Ms. Wells also represents clients in their execution of investment products, and interest rate and commodity swaps and hedges.
Ms. Wells has been a frequent speaker on topics relating to joint action by public issuers, and the acquisition, financing and operation of public gas and power projects, both through prepayment and through reserve and generation asset acquisition. Ms. Wells earned a J.D., with distinction, in 1986 from Emory University, an M.A. in English from the University of Virginia in 1983, and a B.A., magna cum laude, in 1980, from the University of Georgia where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- Worked with joint action issuers in pioneering a transaction for the prepayment for long-term natural gas supplies from the proceeds of tax-exempt bonds, negotiating all necessary gas purchase agreements, surety arrangements, commodity hedging arrangements, interest rate swap arrangements and investment arrangements to achieve a long-term, firm, secure supplies of natural gas for joint action agencies serving local governments’ and utility districts’ gas distribution systems.
- Assisted issuers throughout the Southern states in joint action purchases of natural gas reserves and prepaid supplies as bond counsel, special tax counsel, gas counsel and issuer’s counsel.
- Advised a multi-state joint action agency comprising seven individual joint action agencies in five states in its formation, initial contracting and reserve acquisition financing.
- Served as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, swap counsel and gas counsel in a wide range of transactions ranging from gas and revenue bonds and lease purchase financings to novel transactions in the public power and public gas industry for the financing of electric generation and transmission facilities and the acquisition of long-term gas supplies.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Trustee, The Loridans Foundation
- Board member, The Compass Rose Society
- President, Emory Law School Alumni Board
- Board member, Emory Law School Advisory Board