Elizabeth Jordan is a senior associate in jury trial practice and litigation. Elizabeth represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial disputes, with a focus on cases involving unfair competition, intellectual property and trade secret claims, antitrust law and class action litigation. Elizabeth also represents clients in matters involving defamation and/or privacy under the First Amendment.
Elizabeth has been an integral member of several Alston & Bird trial teams on significant firm cases, and has represented national and international clients in courts across the country. Elizabeth’s litigation and jury trial experiences include successful, pre-trial motion practice; taking and defending depositions in the United States and abroad; working extensively with fact and expert witnesses, including damages experts in bet-the-company cases; examining witnesses at jury trials; arguing motions; and appearing for a two-day jury charge conference in a multibillion-dollar case. In addition, Elizabeth has worked on numerous state and federal court appeals.
- Core member of the trial team in an antitrust case for a technology company in the Northern District of California, securing more than $300 million in settlements from the defendants. Elizabeth worked extensively with expert witnesses, took fact and expert depositions in the United States and Japan, and was responsible for briefing a hotly-contested legal issue (involving the right to recover damages under the Foreign Trade Antitrust Improvements Act), the successful resolution of which increased the client’s damages claim by billions and drove key settlements.
- Lead associate representing an international baby products company in a breach of contract and unfair competition claims in Louisiana state court. Elizabeth oversaw all aspects of discovery, took and defended depositions in the United States and abroad, drafted all trial and appellate court briefs, argued discovery motions, retained and prepared expert witnesses for deposition, and is preparing for trial.
- Trial counsel representing a national publisher accused of defamation in Georgia state court. Elizabeth prepared and examined witnesses at trial and wrote a number of successful key motions, which precluded the plaintiff from recovering punitive damages and ultimately wiped out a substantial portion of the jury verdict.
- Core member of the trial team that represented a Fortune 50 technology company in a trade secrets and unfair competition jury trial in Orleans Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana. After seven weeks of trial, the jury rejected the plaintiffs’ misappropriation of trade secrets and punitive damages claims and awarded them less than 0.2 percent of the claimed damages. The case settled on appeal for less than the judgment. Elizabeth worked closely with expert witnesses to prepare for trial, drafted pre-trial motions and Daubert briefs, drafted expert witness examination outlines, drafted the jury instructions and appeared for the two-day jury charge conference.
- Trial counsel representing a consumer products distributor in a case involving Lanham Act, design patent infringement and unfair competition claims in the Southern District of New York.
- Lead associate representing an international energy company in the Northern District of Florida involving the ownership of intellectual property rights. Elizabeth handled all aspects of discovery, motion practice and wrote the winning motion for summary judgment.
- Lead associate representing the owner of a major sporting enterprise in North Carolina trial and appellate proceedings involving the right of privacy and access to court proceedings.
- Lead associate on a case representing the sanctioning body of a large sports enterprise in a licensing dispute in the Middle District of Florida.
- Elizabeth has been a core team member on numerous federal class actions representing national insurance companies. In many, all claims were thrown out at the motion to dismiss stage. Two cases were appealed to the Eleventh Circuit, and in both, the dismissals in favor of her client were affirmed.
- Lead associate representing medical providers accused of defamation in Georgia state court.