Glenn Thomson, a partner at Alston & Bird since 1985, focuses on municipal bond financing involving taxable and tax-exempt financings for health care, housing, manufacturing and other public projects on behalf of governmental, 501(c)(3) charities and private business organizations, as well as corporate health care, economic development incentives, corporate trust matters and defaults and workouts of bond-financed properties. Mr. Thomson leads the firm’s Economic Incentives Practice Team as well as its Corporate Trust Practice Team and serves as co-coordinator of the firm’s Municipal Assets in Distress (MAD) Task Force. Mr. Thomson writes and speaks regularly at national and regional workshops, seminars and panels concerning developments in the public finance and economic incentives areas.
Mr. Thomson received his J.D. in 1978 and his B.A., with high distinction, in 1973 from the University of Virginia. At the University of Virginia, he was awarded intermediate honors and was elected as a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society.
- Bond Counsel for $276 million of tax-exempt refunding bonds for a city-owned international airport.
- Underwriter’s counsel for over $527,340 million of fixed rate tax-exempt bonds benefitting a regional hospital.
- Bank counsel to a banking group providing letters of credit securing $305 million of tax-exempt bonds.
- Hospital counsel to a university-affiliated non-profit health care organization in connection with a multihospital joint venture and the assumption of $200 million in bond debt.
- Corporate counsel to various Fortune 500 companies in obtaining economic incentives for over $2 billion in capital expenditures for office and manufacturing facilities.
- Trustee’s counsel in connection with various bond and note defaults and workouts and over $3 billion in new note and bond issues.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Georgia Economic Developers Association
- Economic Development Committee of the Metropolitan Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Metro Atlanta YMCA Board Member
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Community Board Member
- Arthritis Foundation (Former Board Member)