Jim Grant is a trial and appellate attorney who handles complex commercial litigation around the country. A Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, Jim is frequently retained to take over matters from other counsel as they approach trial or are on appeal after an adverse verdict. He has tried cases to final jury verdict or arbitration hearing in multiple jurisdictions and has handled more than 50 appeals in his career. Jim is the former co-head of Alston & Bird’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group and currently is serving a four-year term on the firm’s Partners Committee. Jim has been included in Chambers, Best Lawyers and other third-party organizations for years.
- Lead trial counsel for a plaintiff in a five-week theft of trade secrets arbitration in Norit Americas, Inc. v. ADA-ES, Inc., et al., which resulted in a unanimous arbitration award exceeding $40 million dollars.
- Lead trial counsel in the breach of a multimillion-dollar take or pay contract resulting in a favorable settlement for the defendant.
- Successor trial counsel in a design patent, Lanham Act and contract action arising out of allegations of product copying in the infant products industry.
- Successor trial counsel in a price fixing action in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania arising out of the oriented strand board industry.
- Successor appellate counsel in Rite Aid, Inc. v. Peacock, successfully obtaining a reversal of a class certification order.
- Successor appellate counsel in Butler v. Union Carbide Corp., successfully protecting a key Daubert ruling, preserving a resulting summary judgment.
- Lead trial counsel in two lawsuits for the world’s largest soft drink bottler in matter with more than 50 other bottlers concerning methods of distribution of products to mass merchandisers.
- Successfully tried to defense verdict libel, slander, tortious interference and RICO claims in a matter for one of the country’s largest resellers of high-end used computer servers arising out of alleged misrepresentations concerning computer servers recovered from near the World Trade Center disaster area.
- Counsel to a lease finance company in two lawsuits seeking to recover on third-party guarantees of $35 million in lease obligations of information technology equipment. Successfully negotiated settlements after withstanding summary judgment motions in federal court in Pennsylvania and Georgia on two separate guarantees.
- Counsel to the world’s third-largest chemical company in matters around the country ranging from alleged theft of trade secrets to breach of supply contracts.
- Appellate counsel to a Fortune 50 company in an appeal successfully defending before the North Carolina Supreme Court the constitutionality of North Carolina’s statutory punitive damages cap.
Jim Grant, a partner in Alston & Bird’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group who focuses on complex commercial litigation, was inducted on March 2 as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in America.
March 13, 2013
In the Press
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The publication is universally regarded as among the few definitive guides to legal excellence, and its rankings are based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 36,000 leading attorneys cast almost 4.4 million votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas.
September 18, 2012
In the Press
June 7, 2012
In the Press
May 29, 2012
September 12, 2011
In the Press
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Jack and Jill Late Stage Cancer Foundation