Jane Thorpe is one of the United States' most successful and highly regarded mass tort litigators. Her strategic defense of industry-leading corporations and industry coalitions, particularly with regard to Daubert strategies, has led to national recognition on numerous occasions. In 2010, Law360 profiled Jane as one of its “Most Admired Attorneys” in the country, based on a survey of her peers in the industry. She has been named one of “25 Power Women To Watch” in Atlanta, is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Super Lawyers magazine and appears among The Best Lawyers in America for mass tort and personal injury litigation. A former member of the firm's 10-person Partners' Committee, Jane has been elected to the International Association of Defense Counsel and its Trial Academy, as well as to the Product Liability Advisory Council.
Jane has served as national coordinating, trial or MDL counsel in a wide variety of cases involving foods and beverage, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer products and chemicals, achieving success in some of the most difficult jurisdictions in the United States. Her Daubert victories and successes in consumer fraud class actions have established important precedents for these industries.
- Statler v. Dell Inc., No. CV 10-3798, 2012 WL 147951 (E.D.N.Y. Jan. 13, 2012).
- Ciszewski v. Denny's Corp., No. 09 C 5355, 2010 WL 2220584 (N.D. Ill. June 2, 2010).
- DeBenedetto v. Denny's Inc., No. MID-L-6259-09, slip op. (N.J. Super. Ct. Law Div. April 23, 2010) (order granting motion to dismiss).
- Ciszewski v. Denny's Corp., 09C5355, 2010 WL 1418582 (N.D. Ill. Apr. 7, 2010).
- Scaife v. AstraZeneca LP, C.A. No. 06C-04-218 SER, (Sup. Ct. Del. June 9, 2009).
- Haller v. AstraZeneca Pharm. LP, 598 F. Supp. 2d 1271, 1278-79 (M.D. Fla 2009).
- Guinn v. AstraZeneca Pharm. LP, 598 F. Supp. 2d 1239, 1243 (M.D. Fla 2009).
- Franulovic v. Coca Cola Co., No. 07-539, 2009 WL 1025541 (D.N.J. April 16, 2009).
- Franulovic v. Coca Cola Co., Nos. 07-539 & 07-828, 2007 WL 3166953 (D.N.J. Oct. 25, 2007).
- Cano v. Everest Minerals Corp., et al., 362 F.Supp.2d. 814 (2005).
- Newman v. Motorola, Inc., 218 F. Supp. 2d. 769 (D. Md. 2002), aff’d 78Fed. Appx. 292 (4th Cir 2003).
- Ithier v. Sony Electronics, Inc., et al., No. 2000-17582, 125th Judicial Circuit, District Court of Harris County, Texas (May 16, 2001).
- Toledo v. Medical Engineering Corp., et al., No. 136, Court of Common Pleas, Allegheny County, State of Pennsylvania (Dec. 29, 2000).
- In re: Diet Drugs Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1203, Pretrial Order No. 1351 (E.D. Pa. June 28, 2000).
- Washington v. SmithKline Beecham, et al., No. 99-0035, Circuit Court of Jefferson County, State of Mississippi (1999).
- Allison v. Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Co., 184 F. 3d 1300 (11th Cir. 1999).
- Johnson v. Baxter Healthcare Corp., et al., No. CV-92-07501, Second Judicial District Court, County of Bernalillo, State of New Mexico (1998).
- In re: Breast Implant Cases, 11 F. Supp. 2d 1217 (D. Colo. 1998).
- In re: Breast Implant Cases, 942 F. Supp. 958 (S.D.N.Y. 1996).
- Hall v. Baxter Healthcare Corp., 947 F. Supp. 1387 (D. Or. 1996).
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
Eighty-one Alston & Bird attorneys have been named “Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers.”
February 9, 2015
In the News
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the News
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Defense Research Institute
- Georgia Bar, member since 1979
- Founding member Product Liability Section, Georgia Bar