Janine Brown is an M&A and corporate partner who serves as partner-in-charge of the firm’s Atlanta office. She works with companies in a variety of sectors, including technology, media, telecommunications, renewable energy and manufacturing, and has been involved in a wide variety of domestic and international transactions, including capital raising transactions, corporate governance matters, mergers and acquisitions, information technology transactions, joint ventures/strategic alliances and outsourcing transactions. Ms. Brown's clients include public and private companies, as well as private equity funds.
Ms. Brown is listed in The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers magazine, and she is a frequent lecturer on matters related to mergers and acquisitions. She received a J.D., with high honors, in 1986 from Duke University School of Law and a B.A., with distinction, in 1982 from the University of Michigan. Ms. Brown serves on several boards of directors, including Piedmont Healthcare, a not-for-profit health care system of five hospitals, and Spelman College, a historically black college for women.
- Counsel to one of the world’s leading manufacturers of packaging, paper and building products in connection with its $400 million acquisition of an oriented strand board (OSB) manufacturer based in Canada and the United States.
- Counsel to a wireless telecommunications provider in connection with the $2.5 billion sale of network infrastructure and spectrum to another wireless provider.
- Counsel to global media and entertainment business in connection with its expansion of digital media products.
- Counsel to the world’s third-largest chemical company, in connection with a bioethanol acquisition and joint venture.
- Counsel to a provider of audio, video and web-based conferencing solutions, in connection with a $400 million merger with a public company.
- Counsel to national broadcasting and digital media company in connection with strategic investments in digital media companies.
- Counsel to an online travel distribution business in connection with its offshoring to India of certain customer care and mid-office functions.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with leveraged acquisitions of various information technology companies serving the aerospace and defense industries.
- Counsel to a Fortune 500 company in its international rollout of a suite of online tools.
- Represented a publicly held telecommunications company in over 100 acquisitions over a period of several months.
Janine Brown, partner-in-charge of Alston & Bird’s Atlanta office, has been elected chair of the board of directors of Piedmont Healthcare, a not-for-profit health care system of five hospitals and close to 100 physician and specialist offices across greater Atlanta and North Georgia.
August 20, 2015
Alston & Bird has expanded its federal and international tax capabilities with the addition of Scott Harty as partner in the firm’s Atlanta office.
August 19, 2015
One hundred and fifty-three Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2016 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 practice areas.
August 17, 2015
Eighty-one Alston & Bird attorneys have been named “Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers.”
February 9, 2015
In the News
Janine Brown, partner-in-charge of the firm’s Atlanta office, conducted a Q&A with the Atlanta Business Chronicle about the qualities and skills that make up a good board member.
December 5, 2014
In the News
The Atlanta office of national law firm Alston & Bird has been awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED is USGBC's rating system for the world's greenest buildings that incorporate environmentally friendly and energy efficient practices.
September 15, 2014
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
- Spelman College Board of Trustees
- Georgia Justice Project Board of Directors
- Piedmont Healthcare, Inc., Vice Chair of Board of Directors
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors
- Woodruff Arts Center Board of Trustees
- Duke Law School, Past Member of Board of Visitors (Duke University School of Law)
- MIT Enterprise Forum of Atlanta, Past Member of Advisory Board
- Alston & Bird’s Atlanta Diversity Committee