Jason Cooper is a co-coordinator of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Area, with emphasis in mechanical, manufacturing and medical device technologies. Mr. Cooper manages patent portfolios of various domestic and international clients and helps monetize those portfolios. He counsels clients in avoiding the infringement of patents of others and opines with regard to infringement and/or validity of individual patents, or advises on strategy for avoiding the patent portfolios of others.
Mr. Cooper regularly prepares and prosecutes patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is experienced in all aspects of ex parte and inter partes patent practice including examiner interviews, third party submissions, appeals, interferences, reexaminations and reissues, inter partes reviews (IPR), covered business method reviews (CBM), and instructing foreign patent attorneys in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office. Mr. Cooper’s expertise is recognized in Intellectual Asset Management’s IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners as “outstanding in every respect – proficiency, knowledge and client communications” and “a real go-to guy.”
Mr. Cooper has completed the Harvard Law School Executive Education Program, Leadership in Law Firms, and serves on the Advisory Board of the Center for Intellectual Property Research at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
- Extensive experience in appeal, reexamination, Inter Partes Review (IPR) and Covered Business Method (CBM) proceedings before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (BPAI) and former Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) including counsel of record in USPN 6,739,500; USPN 8,515,151; IPX 95/000,494; IPX 95/001,694; CBM2013-00017; CBM2013-00018; IPR2013-00554; IPR2013-00555; IPR2013-00556; IPR2013-00557; IPR2013-00558; IPR2014-00777; and IPR2014-00955.
- Patent counsel to a global household appliance manufacturer.
- Patent counsel to a leading global manufacturer of materials and systems for protective, presentation and fresh food packaging, and performance solutions in the industrial, food and consumer markets.
- Patent counsel to one of the world’s fastest growing toy and infant products companies.
- Patent counsel to an innovative manufacturer of carpets, rugs and other flooring products.
- Patent counsel to a leading advanced composites company that develops, manufactures and markets lightweight, high-performance composites, including carbon fibers, reinforcements, prepregs, honeycomb, matrix systems, adhesives and composite structures for use in commercial aerospace, space and defense, wind energy and industrial applications.
Alston & Bird’s various intellectual property groups have ranked highly in Intellectual Asset Management magazine’s recently released 2013 adjunct publication, IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals. The firm earned Gold (the highest) rankings overall in both Georgia and North Carolina, and for the first time appeared in the Washington, D.C. litigation category, coming in with a Bronze ranking.
June 6, 2013
In the News
"Stay Guidance Issued, Federal Circuit Opines on First Day Denial in View of an Instituted Covered Business Method Review," Intellectual Property and Technology Law Journal, November 1, 2014.
November 1, 2014
Any US patent application filed on or after March 16, 2013 will be subject to the new first-to-file system mandated by the America Invents Act, while any application filed prior to March 16 will still be subject to the old first-to-invent system.
“How the Proposed Patent Fee Schedule Diminishes the Benefits of the AIA, and a Possible Solution,” The Federal Lawyer, September 2012.
January 17, 2011
- Formerly a Rapporteur of the Commission d'Étude et de Travail for IP litigation and enforcement of the Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI) and member of the Council of the U.S. Section of FICPI.
- Named to several prominent professional recognition lists including The Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 U.S., IP Stars from Managing IP, and The World’s Leading Patent Professionals from Intellectual Asset Management.