Jason Cooper is a co-coordinator of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Area, with emphasis in mechanical, manufacturing and medical device technologies. Mr. Cooper manages the patent portfolios of various domestic and international clients and helps monetize those portfolios. He counsels clients in avoiding the infringement of patents of others and opines with regard to infringement and/or validity of individual patents, or advises on strategy for avoiding the patent portfolios of others.
Mr. Cooper regularly prepares and prosecutes patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is experienced in all aspects of ex parte and inter partes patent practice including examiner interviews, third party submissions, appeals, interferences, reexaminations and reissues, and also when instructing foreign patent attorneys in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
Mr. Cooper has completed the Harvard Law School Executive Education Program, Leadership in Law Firms, and serves on the Advisory Board of the Center for Intellectual Property Research at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
- Patent counsel to a global household appliance manufacturer.
- Patent counsel to a leading global manufacturer of materials and systems for protective, presentation and fresh food packaging, and performance solutions in the industrial, food and consumer markets.
- Patent counsel to a U.S.-based developer and manufacturer of high-value, high-efficiency photovoltaic (PV) solar cells and modules.
- Patent counsel to one of the world’s fastest growing toy and infant products companies.
- Patent counsel to an innovative manufacturer of carpets, rugs and other flooring products.
- Patent counsel to a leading advanced composites company that develops, manufactures and markets lightweight, high-performance composites, including carbon fibers, reinforcements, prepregs, honeycomb, matrix systems, adhesives and composite structures for use in commercial aerospace, space and defense, wind energy and industrial applications.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Alston & Bird’s various intellectual property groups have ranked highly in Intellectual Asset Management magazine’s recently released 2013 adjunct publication, IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals. The firm earned Gold (the highest) rankings overall in both Georgia and North Carolina, and for the first time appeared in the Washington, D.C. litigation category, coming in with a Bronze ranking.
June 6, 2013
In the Press
Jason Cooper was quoted in a Corporate Counsel article discussing fundamental changes to U.S. patent law will be implemented beginning on March 16—the so-called “Ides of March”—including a national move to a “first-inventor-to-file” patent system, a major change from the current “first-to-invent” system.
February 19, 2013
In the Press
In an IPLaw360 article discussing The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s (USPTO) unveiling of final rules governing the first-to-file patent system that will go into effect in March, Jason Cooper was quoted as saying the proposed rules seemed to be overly restrictive and made it difficult for inventors to take advantage of the grace period.
February 14, 2013
In the Press
Any US patent application filed on or after March 16, 2013 will be subject to the new first-to-file system mandated by the America Invents Act, while any application filed prior to March 16 will still be subject to the old first-to-invent system.
“How the Proposed Patent Fee Schedule Diminishes the Benefits of the AIA, and a Possible Solution,” The Federal Lawyer, September 2012.
January 17, 2011
- Formerly a Rapporteur of the Commission d'Étude et de Travail for IP litigation and enforcement of the Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (FICPI) and is serving his fourth term as a councillor of the U.S. Section of FICPI.
- Named to several prominent professional recognition lists including The Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 U.S., IP Stars from Managing IP, and The World’s Leading Patent Professionals from Intellectual Asset Management.