Mr. Torres is a senior associate in the firm's Products Liability Group. Although his current practice is concentrated in the areas of mass torts, toxic torts and products liability, Mr. Torres has significant experience in handling a variety of litigation matters. He has successfully defended clients in cases involving wrongful death, personal injury, construction defect, premises liability, breach of contract, civil rights and general liability matters.
Mr. Torres is experienced in all aspects of civil litigation in both state and federal court, including discovery, law and motion, trial work and appeals. He is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts of California, as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Torres is also fluent in Spanish.
- Member of the team currently defending an automotive products liability and consumer class action MDL and state court consolidated proceedings involving over 200 nationwide class actions.
- Successfully defended a large paint manufacturer in a benzene case involving a diesel mechanic who contracted leukemia after alleged exposure to paint products and solvents during his employment.
- Represented a large chemical company in a case involving a welder who contracted ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) after alleged exposure to lubricants and solvents containing benzene.
- Represented a large paint manufacturer in a matter involving a machinist who contracted liver disease after alleged exposure to paint products, thinners and adhesives containing benzene.
- Defended a large paint manufacturer against claims alleging that a former auto-body repairman developed Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma as a result of his 30-plus years of exposure to automotive repair products supplied by over 20 defendants. Obtained an early dismissal after successful mediation.
- Obtained a dismissal in the pleading stage in a breach of contract involving claims of tortious interference of contract and tortious interference with prospective economic advantage.
- Secured a $7 million-plus verdict in a hotly contested property line dispute that had been litigated over five years and received a defense verdict for clients on behalf of the clients on the cross-complaint filed against them in the same action.
- Obtained a defense verdict from a Santa Barbara jury on a $340,000 property damage claim stemming from water and sewage flowing downhill from the defendant's property onto the plaintiff's property and allegedly causing surficial and structural damage.
- Obtained summary judgment in a premises liability action in which the plaintiff suffered severe personal injuries. The plaintiff later appealed and the appellate court unanimously affirmed the trial court's decision.