John Arya is a member of the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group and has trial and litigation experience in a broad range of business litigation matters, including contract disputes, distributor and dealer terminations, consumer class actions, antitrust claims, business torts, fraud claims, unfair competition and trademark infringement.
John has represented the firm’s oil company clients in Petroleum Marketing Practices Act and dealer termination cases in state and federal courts. He has also represented both franchisors and franchisees in the restaurant and retail industries in a variety of litigation matters involving cross-termination provisions between franchise agreements and leases, royalty disputes and trademark infringement claims between franchisors and franchisees.
John received his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Arizona in 1988, and his J.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1991. He is a member of the State Bar of California (Litigation and Intellectual Property Sections).
- Lead trial counsel to one of the world’s largest chemical companies in a suit in federal district court against a distributor. Successfully obtained judgment in client’s favor.
- Successfully represented one of the nation’s largest telecommunications companies against large groups of former distributors for trademark infringement.
- Counsel to the world’s largest oil company in a variety of business litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout California.
- Successfully defended a large satellite television provider in class action litigation brought by subscribers who challenged the client’s price increases.
- Represented a major manufacturing company in action against the supplier of defective turbocharger components. After defeating the supplier’s motion for summary judgment, won a substantial settlement for the client.
- Defended a major bank and credit card services company in action by an independent service provider for fraud, unfair competition, business torts and breach of contract. Won favorable settlement for clients.
- Defended a manufacturer of turbine-driven generator equipment against a customer who bought equipment for use in oil exploration activities in Middle East. Obtained a favorable settlement for the client and then sought and obtained reimbursement of settlement payments from the client’s supplier of the defective component of generator equipment.
- As lead trial counsel in an action tried to a jury, successfully defended a major oil company against a property owner’s claims based on alleged environmental contamination of real property.
- As lead trial counsel in a two-week long court trial, successfully defended a major oil company in action against a former service station franchisee.
- Counsel to a major automobile manufacturer in class action litigation brought in a multi-district litigation proceeding in federal courts and in coordinated state court proceedings in California.
- State Bar of California (Litigation and Intellectual Property Sections)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association