John Weiss is a partner in the firm’s Bankruptcy, Workouts & Reorganization Group and is based in the New York office. He focuses his practice in the areas of business reorganization, restructuring and bankruptcy law, and has experience representing debtors, official and unofficial committees, secured creditors, unsecured creditors, indenture trustees, lessors and lessees of both real and personal property, parties to executory contracts and other parties in interest in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. He also has national experience representing defendants in avoidance actions, and professional service firms with respect to bankruptcy retention and fee-related issues.
Mr. Weiss is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, where he serves on the Advisory Board for the New York City Bankruptcy Conference, and has held the positions of Member Relations Director, Newsletter Editor and Education co-chair for the Ethics and Professional Compensation Committee. Mr. Weiss is also a member of the Turnaround Management Association, where he serves on the Programming Committee for the New York Chapter. Mr. Weiss also serves on the Planning Committee for the annual VALCON Conference.
- Represented the following debtors in each of their Chapter 11 cases: a casino gaming resort; a power generation facility; a large video rental company; a petrochemical producer; an assisted living facility owner and operator; a residential land developer; an infomercial business; a large national hat retailer; a national car wash, gas station and convenience store owner and operator; and a major flat screen television company.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Delphi Corporation, et al.
- Represented trade creditor members of Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Adelphia Communications Corporation, et al.
- Represented a secured creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of Peninsula Hospital, et al.
- Represented a secured creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of Conseco, Inc., et al.
- Represented trade creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Worldcom, Inc., et al.
- Represented subordinated noteholder in the Chapter 11 cases of Creative Group, et al.
- Represented indenture trustee in the Chapter 11 cases of Neff Corp., et al.
- Represented exclusive Canadian distributor in the Chapter 11 cases of Rock & Republic Enterprises, Inc., et al.
April 2, 2012
"Sanchez v. Northwest — A Dangerous Exception,” Law360, January 10, 2012
January 10, 2012
“Bayou, Brooke and ‘Substantial Contribution' Claims,” Law360, April 19, 2011.
April 19, 2011
“Can Replacement Liens on Previously Assigned Rents Constitute Adequate Protection?” Law360, February 23, 2011.
February 23, 2011
"A New World Order: How Hedge Funds Have Changed the Playing Field for Corporate Directors," New York Law Journal, March 2008.