Jon Fee focuses his practice on customs and international trade matters, with a particular emphasis on preferential trade programs, free trade agreements and U.S. trade legislation. He has extensive experience in trade issues affecting textiles, apparel, aircraft, heavy equipment and electronics.
Mr. Fee is a licensed customs broker and teaches preparation courses for the national customs broker exam. Mr. Fee has spoken frequently in the United States, Asia, Central America and Africa on U.S. trade policy and free trade agreements. He is active in community service and chairs the firm’s Washington, D.C. Pro Bono Committee.
Mr. Fee received his undergraduate degree in 1971 from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, and his law degree from Emory University in 1974. He is a member of the American, Georgia and Washington, D.C. Bar Associations, and admitted to practice in the Court of International Trade, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Mr. Fee is listed in Chambers USA and The Best Lawyers in America.
- Successfully litigated against prior certification for duty-free imports under the Civil Aircraft Agreement and authored the U.S. tariff schedule note on imports of civil aircraft and parts.
- Obtained a short supply treatment of textile articles under NAFTA, CAFTA, and trade preference programs covering sub-Saharan African, Caribbean and Andean countries.
- Counsel to a variety of importers in audits, investigations, seizures, penalties, protests and rulings.
- Successfully represented U.S. clients in NAFTA origin verifications conducted by the Mexican government.
- Successfully represented a U.S. importer in the investigation of a radioactive contamination event.
- Authored key provisions of trade preference legislation.
Alston & Bird has earned broad recognition in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA, the peer review directory of leading U.S. business lawyers.
May 20, 2015
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the News
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the News
Recent lawsuits have proven familiar customs laws are more complicated under the False Claims Act, FIRREA and California consumer laws. Our International Trade Group has the details on structuring your compliance programs.
January 29, 2015
This advisory discusses the United States Court of Federal Claims granting Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s (“SpaceX”) motion for a preliminary injunction prohibiting the United States Air Force and United Launch Services, LLC (ULS), a joint venture between The Boeing Company and Lockheed Martin Corporation, and their affiliates, from making any purchases from or payment to the Russian company NPO Energomash, or any other entity subject to the “control” of Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, unless the court receives the opinion of the U.S. Departments of the Treasury, Commerce and State that such purchases or payments will not directly or indirectly contravene U.S. sanctions.
May 5, 2014
- Chairman of the Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights Coalition
- Member of the Executive Committee and board member for Bread for the City
- Board member and former president of the Atlanta Legal Aid Society
- Board member of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
- American Apparel Producers Network
- United States Association of Importers of Textiles and Apparel
- National Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Association
- American Apparel and Footwear Association, former chair of the Government Relations Committee