Lorraine Sarles, a Los Angeles associate, focuses her practice on complex business and commercial litigation, as well bankruptcy and insolvency matters. Her diverse practice spans litigating in federal courts and California state courts, including matters involving contract disputes, franchise matters, products liability, and class actions. She also focuses on representing a variety of clients in complex bankruptcy cases, including asset dispositions, claims reconciliation and derivative safe harbor issues.
Prior to joining Alston & Bird, Ms. Sarles served as law clerk to the Honorable Alan M. Ahart in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. She received her J.D., cum laude, from the University Of Texas School of Law in 2009. While in law school, she served as managing editor for the Texas International Law Journal and was elected the 2009 Permanent Class President. She externed for the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Ninth Circuit in 2008. Ms. Sarles earned a B.A. in Art History from Southern Methodist University in 2001.
Prior to law school, Ms. Sarles worked at Tregan Partners, LLP, a private investment firm, where she researched and assisted with investments in small and medium sized businesses including real estate, hospitality and gaming development, and telecommunications.
- Lead associate in prosecuting Lanham Act and Sherman Act claims for health sector client.
- Defense of a component manufacturer in products liability matters involving allegations of design and manufacturing defects, including consumer class actions.
- Defense of a Fortune 100 company in multi-million dollar breach of contract litigation.
- Lead associate representing major studio in protecting its intellectual property in bankruptcy proceeding.
- Lead associate representing multinational hotel franchisor in dozens of contract-counter party bankruptcy proceedings.
- Member of the team that defended automotive products liability and consumer class action multidistrict litigation and state court consolidated proceedings involving over 200 nationwide class actions.
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation