Michelle Williams is a member of Alston & Bird’s Health Care Team and Products Liability Team. She has significant experience in the buying and selling of health care companies such as hospitals, blood banks and laboratories, including transactions requiring attorney general approval and/or conversion from nonprofit to for-profit status and issues of successor liability. She also advises on corporate governance including hospital and medical staff governance especially as to mergers, acquisitions, member substitutions and affiliations and reverse diligence during a change of control, full CMS and state surveys, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Law, hospital authorities, change of ownership or control, voluntary disclosures, corporate integrity agreements and qui tam defense.
- Advised Central Georgia Health Care Services, Inc., in the management of Oconee Regional Medical Center and Jasper Memorial Hospital.
- Advised High Point Regional Health System on a sole member substitution transaction with UNC Health Care System.
- Advised the Hospital Authority of McDuffie County and obtained attorney general approval of its sale to University Hospital of Augusta.
- Advised Central Georgia Health System, Inc., on the lease of Peach Regional Medical Center and obtained attorney general approval for the lease transaction.
- Advised Tift Regional Medical Center in the acquisition of Adele Memorial Hospital in a conversion from for-profit to hospital authority asset.
- Obtained attorney general approval for a restructured hospital authority corporation change of control and subsequent integration into an out of state nonprofit hospital system.
- Obtained attorney general approval for St. Joseph’s Hospital of Augusta’s sale to Triad and conversion to for-profit status.
- Obtained attorney general approval for the sale and completed sale and conversion of Green County Hospital Authority’s Minnie Boswell Memorial Hospital to a for-profit hospital company and subsequent acquisitions by a nonprofit company.
- Represented a blood bank in CLIA revocation and restructured its laboratory operations.
- Advised several hospitals on full CMS surveys and the restoration of loss of deemed status.
- Regulatory attorney for a hospital system’s qui tam matters involving observation status, one day stays and short stay admissions.
- Former in-house counsel at University Hospitals of Cleveland, Mount Sinai Hospital (now closed) and former on-loan interim counsel to Grady Health System, Emory University Hospital and the Emory Clinic.
Hospital Acquisition Act
March 13, 2015
March 3, 2015
January 26, 2015
Michelle Williams was a panel program chair and featured panelist with the Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session "Georgia Hospital Acquisition Act" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 3, 2013
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and as a featured panelist with the CDC and DHHS during the session "Vaccine Safety Surveillance and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by Georgia BIO.
October 9, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session " EMTALA and Medicare Terminations" at this program sponsored by the Meadows Regional Medical Center.
October 4, 2012
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and panelist with Kaufman Hall and Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session “Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions" at this program sponsored by the Georgia Healthcare Financial Management Association.
September 28, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session "Vaccine Safety and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 11, 2012
- Commissioner, U.S. Department Health and Human Services, “Advisory Committee on Childhood Vaccines,” (ACCV), to advise the Secretary of DHHS on the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund (2011–2015). Also, Chair, ACCV Future Science Work Group Subcommittee
- Georgia Academy of Hospital Attorneys 2011–2012, president
- Georgia BIO, board member and legal counsel
- American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern Region, board member and past chair
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Women in Bio
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association