Michelle Williams is a member of the firm's Health Care Group and Products Liability Group. She has significant experience in the buying and selling of health care companies such as blood banks, laboratories and hospitals, including transactions requiring attorney general approval and/or conversion from non-profit to for-profit status. She also advises on full CMS and state surveys, compliance issues, the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback, EMTALA, HIT, hospital authorities, entity change of ownership or control, blood banking, laboratory practice, voluntary disclosures, corporate integrity agreements and qui tam defense.
- Advised High Point Regional Health System on sole member substitution transaction with UNC Health Care System.
- Advised Hospital Authority of McDuffie County and successfully obtained attorney general approval on sale to University Hospital of Augusta.
- Advised Central Georgia Health System, Inc. on lease of Peach Regional Medical Center and successfully obtained attorney general approval for lease transaction.
- Advised Tift Regional Medical Center in acquisition of Adele Memorial Hospital in conversion from for-profit to hospital authority asset.
- Successfully obtained attorney general approval for a restructured hospital authority corporation change of control and subsequent integration into an out of state non-profit hospital system.
- Successfully obtained attorney general approval for St. Joseph’s Hospital of Augusta sale to Triad and conversion to for-profit status.
- Successfully obtained attorney general approval for the sale and completed sale and conversion of Green County Hospital Authority’s Minnie Boswell Memorial Hospital to a for-profit hospital company.
- Represented a blood bank in CLIA revocation and restructured its laboratory operations.
- Advised two hospitals on full CMS surveys and the restoration of loss of deemed status.
- Regulatory attorney for a hospital system’s qui tam matters involving observation status, one day stays and short stay admissions.
- Former in-house counsel at University Hospitals of Cleveland and former on-loan counsel to Grady Health System and Emory University Hospital.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
Alston & Bird LLP is pleased to announce its participation as legal counsel to High Point Regional Health System (“High Point”) in forming a strategic alliance with The University of North Carolina Health Care System (“UNC HCS”). The transaction closed April 1, 2013.
April 16, 2013
In the Press
"The Rights of Nonparticipating Providers in a Managed Care World: Navigating the Minefields of Balance Billing and Reasonable and Customary Payments," Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law, Vol. 3, No. 1, October 2009.
Michelle Williams was a panel program chair and featured panelist with the Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session "Georgia Hospital Acquisition Act" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 3, 2013
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and as a featured panelist with the CDC and DHHS during the session "Vaccine Safety Surveillance and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by Georgia BIO.
October 9, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session " EMTALA and Medicare Terminations" at this program sponsored by the Meadows Regional Medical Center.
October 4, 2012
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and panelist with Kaufman Hall and Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session “Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions" at this program sponsored by the Georgia Healthcare Financial Management Association.
September 28, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session "Vaccine Safety and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 11, 2012
Michelle Williams, Angie Burnette, Robert Stone and D'Andrea Morning presented "Mental Health Issues and EMTALA," 9:00am - 12:00pm, during this seminar hosted by the Georgia Hospital Association Research and Education Foundation.
December 8, 2009
- Commissioner, U.S. Department Health and Human Services, “Advisory Committee on Childhood Vaccines,” (ACCV), to advise the Secretary on the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund (2011-2013). Also, Chair, ACCV Future Science Work Group Subcommittee
- President, Georgia Academy of Hospital Attorneys 2011-2012
- Board Member and Legal Counsel to Georgia BIO
- Board Member and Past Chair, American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern Region
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Georgia Bar Association, Atlanta Bar Association, American Bar Association