Michelle Williams is a member of Alston & Bird’s Health Care Team and Products Liability Team. She has significant experience in the buying and selling of hospitals, blood banks and laboratories, including transactions requiring attorney general approval and/or conversion from nonprofit to for-profit status and issues of successor liability. She also advises on corporate governance and medical staff governance, especially mergers, acquisitions, member substitutions and affiliations and reverse diligence during a change of ownership or control, CMS and state surveys, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Law, hospital authorities, voluntary disclosures, corporate integrity agreements and qui tam defense.
Michelle served on the Advisory Committee on Childhood Vaccines, advising the U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services on the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund. She was the former in-house counsel at University Hospitals of Cleveland, Mount Sinai Hospital (now closed) and former on-loan counsel to Grady Health System, Emory University Hospital and the Emory Clinic.
- Advised a hospital board of directors on the separation of the hospital from a nonprofit system.
- Advised an academic medical center on governance restructuring.
- Advised Navicent Health on the management affiliation of Oconee Regional Medical Center and Jasper Memorial Hospital.
- Advised High Point Regional Health System on a sole member substitution transaction with UNC Health Care System.
- Advised the Hospital Authority of McDuffie County and obtained attorney general approval of its sale to University Hospital of Augusta.
- Advised Navicent Health on the lease/acquisition of Peach Regional Medical Center and obtained attorney general approval for the transaction.
- Advised Tift Regional Medical Center in the acquisition of Adele Memorial Hospital in a conversion from for-profit to hospital authority asset.
- Obtained attorney general approval for a restructured hospital authority corporation change of control and subsequent integration into an out-of-state nonprofit hospital system.
- Obtained attorney general approval for St. Joseph’s Hospital of Augusta’s sale to Triad and conversion to for-profit status.
- Obtained attorney general approval for the sale and completed sale and conversion of Green County Hospital Authority’s Minnie Boswell Memorial Hospital to a for-profit hospital company and subsequent acquisitions by a nonprofit company.
- Represented a blood bank in CLIA revocation and restructured its laboratory operations.
- Advised several hospitals on full CMS surveys and the restoration of loss of deemed status.
- Advised on a hospital system’s qui tam matters involving observation status, one-day stays and short-stay admissions.
Hospital Acquisition Act
March 13, 2015
March 3, 2015
January 26, 2015
Michelle Williams was a panel program chair and featured panelist with the Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session "Georgia Hospital Acquisition Act" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 3, 2013
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and as a featured panelist with the CDC and DHHS during the session "Vaccine Safety Surveillance and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by Georgia BIO.
October 9, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session " EMTALA and Medicare Terminations" at this program sponsored by the Meadows Regional Medical Center.
October 4, 2012
Michelle Williams served as panel program chair and panelist with Kaufman Hall and Georgia Deputy Attorney General during the session “Hospital Mergers and Acquisitions" at this program sponsored by the Georgia Healthcare Financial Management Association.
September 28, 2012
Michelle Williams was a featured speaker during the session "Vaccine Safety and Injury Compensation" at this conference sponsored by the Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys.
May 11, 2012
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Advisory Committee on Childhood Vaccines (ACCV), commissioner (2011–2015)
- ACCV Future Science Work Group Subcommittee, chair (1991-present)
- Georgia Academy of Hospital Attorneys, president (2011–2012)
- Georgia BIO, board member and past legal counsel
- American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern Region, board member and past chair
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Women in Bio
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association