Neal’s practice includes environmental, land use, and water law throughout California. Neal focuses in particular on counseling and litigation under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Neal has also represented developers, public agencies, and community members in matters involving California's planning and zoning laws, water rights disputes, the California Coastal Act, state and federal water quality laws, and the Subdivision Map Act. In addition to his land use and environmental experience, Neal has advised clients on state and local government law, including matters arising under the Ralph M. Brown Act, the Public Records Act, and laws governing initiatives and referenda.
- Successfully argued before the California Court of Appeal, Second District, which held in Central Basin Municipal Water Dist. v. Water Replenishment Dist. Of Southern Cal. (2012) 211 Cal.App.4th 943, that a public water agency is exempt from the provisions of CEQA when it acts pursuant to the judgment that adjudicated water rights in the Central Groundwater Basin.
- Successfully defended the Playa Capital Company against a CEQA challenge to the environmental review of the Village at Playa Vista, the second phase of one of the largest mixed-use developments in Los Angeles. (Ballona Wetlands Land Trust v. City of Los Angeles (2011) 201 Cal.App.4th 455.) Mr. Maguire also successfully represented Playa Capital in litigation concerning the first phase of the Playa Vista development. (Environmentalism Through Inspiration and Non-Violent Action v. City of Los Angeles, Cal.App.2d Dist. Dec. 1, 2010.) .
- Represents several private entities and private utilities in a water rights adjudication in Los Angeles County.
- Defended a museum in the City of Los Angeles in litigation matters arising under CEQA and the Ralph M. Brown Act.
- Prepared and reviewed an environmental impact report (EIR) for the construction of a hospital in Ventura County.
- Represented the developer of a desalination facility in CEQA litigation. After prevailing in Orange County Superior Court, negotiated a settlement precluding an appeal.
- Processed land use entitlements for a national wireless telecommunications company throughout Southern California and pursued litigation on behalf of the company seeking to preserve existing land use entitlements for its facilities.
Neal Maguire, a member of the firm’s Environmental & Land Development Group in the Ventura County office, was named among the “Top 40 Under 40” in the San Fernando Valley Business Journal for his expertise in land use and California Environmental Quality Act matters—specifically for his assistance in securing approval for two phases of a large mixed-use land development project in Los Angeles’ Griffith Park.
October 15, 2012
In the Press
San Fernando Valley Business Journal, “40 under 40,” October 2012.
“Legislature Extends Life of Subdivision Maps,” WB Alert, July 2008.