Noël Para specializes in cross-border transactions, including secured lending and mergers and acquisitions. He has extensive experience representing financial institutions and other business entities in a broad range of transactions involving commercial finance and credit enhancement, structured finance and other asset-based lending, and public and private offerings.
Noël has particular expertise in structuring transactions which are subject to the laws of several jurisdictions, matters arising under Articles 8 & 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, such as characterization of collateral and effect of change-of-characterization, and other U.C.C. matters, and legal opinion practice, especially with respect to foreign law opinions and multi-jurisdiction tandem opinions.
Noël is on the firm’s Corporate Practice Area Opinion Committee (Chair) and the Mergers and Acquisitions, and Securities Practice Quality Teams.
Noël received his J.D. from New York University in 1980 and his B.A. from Amherst College in 1977. He has served the community through participation as an advanced referee, referee instructor and coach for the American Youth Soccer Organization.
Represented global media conglomerate in connection with $6.75 billion sale of interest in internet service provider under complex put/call structure and related monetization transactions involving the laws of Germany, Luxembourg and the U.S.
Represented French developer in connection with work-in-progress financing arrangements for major U.S. transportation capital project involving the laws of France, Canada and several U.S. jurisdictions.
- Responsible for analysis and documentation, including legal opinions, of U.S. state law (U.C.C.) aspects of numerous cross-border and multi-state commercial lending, structured finance, real estate finance, securities and M&A transactions, including coordination of foreign and local counsel documentation and opinions.
Legal Opinion Letters, A Comprehensive Guide to Opinion Letter Practice, Chapter, "Opinions in Commercial Finance and Banking Transactions," Aspen Treatise, 3d Ed., 2004 and 2005 through 2011 Supplements.
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- ABA Business Law Section Committee on Legal Opinions
- ABA Subcommittee on Securities Law Opinions
- ABA Subcommittee on Cross-Border Legal Opinions
- Through the ABA Legal Opinions Committee, Noël was a commenter and contributor to the ABA Committee’s 2002 “Guidelines for the Preparation of Closing Opinions” and the 2003 “Special Report of the Tri-Bar Committee: Security Interest Opinions – Revised Article 9.” As a member of the ABA Securities Law Opinions Subcommittee, Noël was a reviewer and contributor to the Subcommittee’s 2007 Report, “No-Registration Opinions,” and its 2009 Report, “Negative Assurance in Securities Offerings,” and the 2011 “Special Report of TriBar Opinion Committee: Opinion Letters on Secondary Sales of Securities.”