Rachel Capoccia is a partner in the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. Her practice focuses on intellectual property litigation with an emphasis on patent litigation, copyright litigation and other technology-related matters. Her legal experience is complemented by 10 years working at IBM as a software engineer before law school, during which she led a team of engineers who developed computer graphics software and computer aided design systems.
Rachel has represented clients in patent infringement matters involving diverse areas of technology, including digital cameras, Internet-based software systems, biotechnology, cellular telephony, video and audio conferencing systems, image processing software, encryption software, CAD/CAM and computer graphics software, and medical devices. She is experienced in all phases of patent litigation, including trial, acting as lead counsel for a number of claim construction proceedings and technology tutorials, all other pre-trial activities, patent portfolio analysis and drafting, and negotiating settlement and patent license agreements.
Rachel is an adjunct professor of copyright law at the University of Southern California Law School where she attended law school and received the Alumni Award for graduating first in her class. After law school, she served as a law clerk to the Honorable Cynthia Holcomb Hall of the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead patent litigation counsel for two leading global manufacturers of digital cameras and camcorders in multidistrict litigation in the D.C. District Court, involving a non-practicing entity’s patents related to multipurpose interface devices for connecting analog devices seamlessly with a computer.
- Representing a leading Internet services company and a global manufacturer of table computing products in patent infringement litigation against a non-practicing entity in E.D. Texas, involving portable, wireless thin clients and server technology.
- Representing a leading global developer of electronic commodities trading software in a series of patent infringement litigation matters in N.D. Illinois involving electronic trading software patents.
- Patent litigation counsel for two Internet social network sites in patent infringement litigation in E.D. Texas involving software for enhancing Internet security for large network systems.
- Patent litigation counsel for a global news wire service in a patent infringement matter in C.D. California relating to real-time internet news updating services.
- Represented a well-known medical device manufacturer in patent infringement litigation in C.D. California, involving patents regarding systems for imaging the electrical activity in a patient’s heart using internal catheters.
- Represented a leading computer system manufacturer in several patent infringement matters throughout the country against a competitor in areas such as computer aided design software, VLSI chip design and image processing systems.
- Represented a leading audio and video-conferencing system manufacturer in patent litigation against a competitor in E.D. Texas, involving patents related to video encoding and decoding.
- Represented a biotechnology startup company at an arbitration involving the ownership and inventorship of a number of patents developed during a joint venture to develop peptide compounds for the treatment of anemia and other blood disorders.
- Represented an Internet postage company in patent infringement litigation against its main competitor regarding patents for internet postage technology and encryption systems.
- Represented a leading international bicycle component manufacturer in several patent infringement matters against its competitors, related to a variety of bicycle technology.
- USC Intellectual Property Institute Planning Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- California State Bar – Intellectual Property Section