Rick Blumen is co-chair of the Global Finance & Debt Products Group and chairman of the firm’s Partners’ Committee. He represents lead arrangers, lenders, borrowers, private equity firms and underwriters in a variety of finance transactions, including secured and unsecured syndicated credit facilities, private placements, high-yield debt offerings, acquisition financings, recapitalizations, first- and second-lien loans, mezzanine financings and pre-petition workouts and restructurings.
Mr. Blumen has served as counsel to several of the largest U.S. commercial banks and their affiliates. His experience on the lender side ranges from asset-based lending to investment grade, and from rock stars to major airline carriers to portfolio companies of Berkshire Hathaway. Mr. Blumen represents publicly traded and private companies, including several portfolio companies of private equity firms, as borrowers and issuers of debt and quasi-debt securities. His sector experience includes food and beverage, media, aircraft, transportation, retail and consumer services, healthcare, manufacturing, technology, financial services and insurance.
- Represented a leading global investment management company with respect to its $1.25 billion syndicated credit facility.
- Counsel to the lead arranger and agent in connection with a $500 million letter of credit facility provided to one of the largest air delivery and freight services companies in the world.
- Counsel to a publicly traded consumer products company in connection with its $330 million debt recapitalization consisting of syndicated bank debt and a public bond offering.
- Counsel to the lead arranger and agent in connection with a $525 million acquisition financing, creating the largest Anheuser-Busch distributor in the United States.
- Represented a plastic packaging manufacturer (a portfolio company of a private equity firm) in connection with its $730 million debt recapitalization and related consent solicitation/tender offer for its public bonds.
- Representation of the lead arranger and agent in connection with a $345 million acquisition financing for a publicly traded air transport company.
- Counsel to a publicly traded provider of specialized insurance products with respect to its private and public debt financings in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented the lead arranger and agent in connection with a $400 million syndicated credit facility to a leading pharmaceutical care provider.
- Representation of a private equity sponsor with respect to financing and refinancing transactions for seven of its portfolio companies.
- Counsel to the lead arranger and agent with respect to a $150 million asset-based credit facility to a publicly traded media company.
- Counsel to the lead arranger and agent in several Islamic financing transactions to the portfolio companies of a private equity sponsor.
One hundred and forty-four Alston & Bird attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America. In addition, 17 Alston & Bird attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” by the publication.
August 15, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
Alston & Bird’s Finance Group moved into the top 20 of the 2012 Legal League Tables distributed by Thomson Reuters, both on the U.S. borrower and lender sides by volume.
January 22, 2013
In the Press