Sam Kaywood is a co-chair of the Federal Income & International Tax Group. Sam concentrates his practice on federal income tax and international tax, including cross-border M&A and joint ventures, as well as in-bound investments into the United States. Sam has worked on virtually all forms of cross-border investments, with substantial experience in Canada, Europe, China and Latin America. He is particularly active in structuring investments and acquisitions in Latin America, including Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
Sam is a frequent author and speaker on international tax topics, including those related to Latin America. He has spoken before numerous professional organizations, such as the International Bar Association, International Fiscal Association, American Bar Association, Tax Section, Tax Executives Institute, Atlanta Tax Forum, Georgia Tax Conference and has given speeches in cities across the country and in several foreign countries. Sam is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and in The Best Lawyers in America for his tax expertise. He was the chair of the ABA Tax Section Committee on U.S. Affairs of Foreigners and Tax Treaties and active with the International Fiscal Association. Sam is an Adjunct Professor at Emory University School of Law where he teaches International Tax.
- Structured the sale of operations in Ireland, Spain and The Netherlands on behalf of a multinational food and beverage company.
- Represented a U.S. manufacturer in connection with a $2.5 billion acquisition of European operations.
- Represents a worldwide financier in connection with investments in 25 countries.
- Handled international restructurings, including the use of Benelux holding companies and SPVs.
- Handled numerous IRS audits at Exam and Appeals levels for over 25 years.
- Worked on many international, technology-related arrangements, including the use of offshore licensing and R&D arrangements.
Alston & Bird client Sabre Corporation, a leading technology provider to the global travel and tourism industry, has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Abacus International Pte Ltd., the premiere travel-booking company in Asia-Pacific.
May 29, 2015
Alston & Bird has earned broad recognition in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA, the peer review directory of leading U.S. business lawyers.
May 20, 2015
Sam Kaywood, partner in Alston & Bird’s Tax Group, addressed earnings and profits (E&P) in cross-border transactions.
March 2, 2015
In the News
Eighty-one Alston & Bird attorneys have been named “Georgia’s Top Rated Lawyers.”
February 9, 2015
In the News
Alston & Bird client Mohawk Industries, Inc., has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire IVC Group, a Belgium-based flooring manufacturer, for approximately $1.2 billion in cash and equity.
January 14, 2015
One hundred and forty-seven Alston & Bird lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers In America. The lawyers span the firm’s eight U.S. offices and represent more than 60 different practice areas.
August 19, 2014
“New Regulations on Splitter Arrangements – a Splitting Headache,” Journal of Taxation, Vol. 117, No. 4, Oct. 2012.
- Lex Mundi
- International Bar Association
- ABA Tax Section
- International Fiscal Association