Sarah Ernst concentrates her practice on public and private company securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, private equity financings and joint ventures, spinoffs, and corporate governance, with an emphasis in the health care sector.
Ms. Ernst represents public and private companies and underwriters in debt and equity offerings, including initial public offerings, resale and follow-on offerings, shelf registrations, 144A convertible debt offerings and private equity offerings. She also has significant experience representing public and private companies and private equity firms in mergers and asset acquisitions and dispositions. In addition, She also regularly advises clients regarding SEC compliance and reporting obligations and corporate governance matters.
Ms. Ernst received her J.D. from the University of Oklahoma College of Law, where she was managing editor of the Oklahoma Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. Ms. Ernst received her B.S.F.S., cum laude, from the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service. She also attended the U.S. Naval Academy from 1997 until 1999.
Ms. Ernst has been named one of Law360’s “Top Attorneys Under 40” and is listed as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
- Counsel to The Schumacher Group, a leading provider of outsourced emergency and hospital medicine clinical staffing and other healthcare advisory services, in a recapitalization with Onex Corporation.
- Counsel to Halyard Health, Inc., in its $1.7 billion tax-free spinoff from Kimberly-Clark Corporation and high yield debt exchange offer.
- Counsel to Harden Healthcare Holdings, Inc., a portfolio company of Capstar Partners and KKR, in a tax-free merger with Gentiva Health Services, Inc. (GTIV) valued at $410 million and related spinoff of Harden’s long-term care business to its shareholders.
- Counsel to PSS World Medical in its $2.1 billion sale to McKesson Corporation and multiple 144A high yield debt and exchange offers.
- Counsel to Adams Respiratory Therapeutics, the maker of Mucinex, in its IPO and several follow-on offerings, shelf registration and takedown, SEC compliance and reporting, corporate governance matters and eventual sale for $2.3 billion to Reckitt Benckiser.
- Counsel to private equity firms in numerous complex acquisitions of health care service companies.
- Counsel to a leading global investment bank in a number of public securities offerings by health care companies.
- Counsel to specialty pharmacy, home health care, manufacturing and consumer goods companies in public offerings, SEC compliance and disclosure, and corporate governance matters.
- Counsel to numerous private health care service providers and health care technology, consumer goods, and insurance and staffing companies in complex mergers, acquisitions, tender offers and equity restructurings.
- Counsel to health care technology, supply and services companies in venture capital financings.
Sarah Ernst is quoted on the results of a new boardroom study by the nonprofit group Onboard, for which she serves as chair.
November 9, 2016
In the News
Sarah Ernst, partner in Alston & Bird’s Health Care Group, has been selected as a member of the Daily Report’s “On the Rise” class of 2016, an elite group of Georgia lawyers under the age of 40 who have achieved a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
June 24, 2016
Mark Ray and Sarah Ernst are noted for advising Arbor Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of XenoPort for a total equity value of approximately $467 million.
May 27, 2016
In the News
Mark Ray and Sarah Ernst are mentioned for advising Arbor Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of XenoPort for a total equity value of approximately $467 million.
May 23, 2016
In the News
Alston & Bird client Halyard Health, Inc., has entered into an agreement to acquire private equity-backed Corpak MedSystems in an all-cash transaction totaling $174 million.
April 11, 2016
Alston & Bird client Clearview Capital, through an investment by Clearview Capital Fund III LP, has taken a majority interest in synthetic turf maker Controlled Products, LLC. The transaction closed March 22, 2016.
April 1, 2016
Alston & Bird client ApolloMD, a leading clinical outsourcer for the healthcare industry, has entered into a management services agreement to operate bankrupt Hutcheson Medical Center in Fort Oglethorpe, GA, while it finalizes details to purchase the facility.
January 4, 2016
Sarah Ernst, partner in Alston & Bird’s Health Care Group, and Kevin Gooch, partner in the firm’s Finance Group, have been selected as members of the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “40 Under 40” Class of 2015, an elite group of Atlanta professionals recognized for their notable career achievements as well as their contributions to the community.
November 9, 2015