Tara Eliza Castillo is a partner on Alston & Bird's Finance Team. She focuses her practice on debt securities, structured finance, securitizations and other asset-backed finance transactions. Tara has experience representing issuers, underwriters, sellers, servicers, trustees, rating agencies and other transaction parties across a wide variety of asset classes, including automobiles, equipment, insurance premium finance loans, leases, residential mortgages and trade receivables. She has also represented financial institutions and non-bank finance companies serving as lessors and lessees in equipment lease transactions.
Tara advises clients on securities and regulatory compliance issues relating to the securitization aspects of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and Regulation Asset-Backed Securities.
Tara was named to the 2014 and 2015 Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list by Super Lawyers, and in 2015 was named a finalist for Washington, D.C. SmartCEO magazine’s CPA & ESQ Awards in the category of “Rising Star.” Additionally, she is part of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s (NREL) Solar Access to Public Capital working group, which facilitates the securitization of solar assets in the marketplace.
- Represents a leading insurance premium finance lender as seller-servicer in a precedent-setting securitization refinancing of life insurance premium finance loans.
- Represents a large originator of residential mortgage loans in connection with whole loan sales and private issuances of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Counsel to the U.S. finance subsidiary of a global automobile manufacturer in the renewal of its multibillion dollar securities shelf registration with the SEC and represents subsidiary as issuer’s counsel in connection with its public automobile securitization program.
- Counsel to a U.S. finance subsidiary of a global automobile manufacturer in connection with its issuance of medium-term notes in the U.S. and Europe.
- Represents a trustee in connection with residential mortgage-backed securities transactions.
- Advises one of the world’s largest chemical companies on the U.S.-related legal aspects of its €1.5 billion multinational trade receivables loan facility.
- Represents a U.S. lease and finance subsidiary as lessor in small and medium ticket lease transactions.
- Counsel to a major nationally recognized statistical rating organization advising on legal compliance with the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Counsel to an NBA team equity owner as lessee in an equipment lease transaction relating to LED, broadcast and audio equipment and marquees.
- Counsel to guarantors in connection with state-certified capital finance company transactions.
- Counsel to first trade receivables financing for a European client.
- Counsel to several major financial services providers in connection with repurchase agreements with national banks.
- Counsel to an issuer in an equity offering of more than $200 million.
- Counsel to an issuer in a hybrid debt offering of more than $160 million.
- Counsel to an investment vehicle in connection with investment in a minority-owned financial institution.
- Counsel to a financial institution in connection with its conversion from mutual form to stock form.
“Securitization Readiness Considerations for Consumer Finance Companies,” in Securitization: Legal and Regulatory Issues, Law Journal Press, 2016.
The SEC recently hosted a public forum to discuss Fintech. Finance partner Tara Castillo provides a summary of the four panels on robo-advisors, blockchain, online marketplace lending and crowdfunding, and investor protection.
November 29, 2016
Consumer finance companies (‘‘FinCos’’) play a critical role in the U.S. economy. FinCos provide an alternative source of funds to underbanked consumers who otherwise have limited access to credit from financial institutions and other traditional lenders.
June 27, 2016
Tara Castillo, senior associate in Alston & Bird’s Finance Group, reviews the current landscape of rating agencies and priorities.
October 5, 2015
Our Finance Group examines the automobile loan exception to federal regulators’ final rule on risk retention by securitizers of asset-backed securities.
October 30, 2014
CLOs and the Imminent Credit Risk Retention Final Rules
Our Finance Group looks at the SEC’s hotly contested proposals to finalize the Credit Risk Retention Rules and examines their effects on securitizers and the collateralized loan obligations market.
October 10, 2014
On August 27, the Securities and Exchange Commission expanded disclosure requirements for publicly issued asset-backed securities as mandated by the Dodd-Frank Act. Tara Castillo of the firm’s Finance Group and a speaker at the upcoming Servicing Symposium discusses the rules’ impact on the securitization market.
September 5, 2014
The Finance Group summarizes this week’s Securities and Exchange Commission open meeting where the SEC adopted final rules substantially revising the offering process and certain disclosure requirements. The advisory details the new forms and their deadlines as the SEC continues to implement Dodd-Frank.
August 28, 2014
Tara Castillo is a senior associate in Alston & Bird’s Finance Group who concentrates her practice on securities transactions, complex structured finance and securitization transactions, as well as securities compliance and regulatory matters for financial institutions, corporations and credit rating agencies. She regularly counsels clients regarding the SEC’s proposal for sweeping changes to Regulation AB (Reg AB II), which governs registered offerings of asset-backed securities.
September 25, 2012
- Structured Finance Industry Group (SFIG)
- SFIG Women in Securitization
- DC Bar Foundation, Young Lawyers Network, Leadership Council
- Latina/o Alumni Association of the Washington College of Law, former board
- Alston & Bird Washington, D.C. Office’s Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia’s Generous Associates Campaign, co-chair, 2010-2013
- Women in Housing and Finance Inc.
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia (HBA-DC)