Ted Hollifield specializes in corporate and securities law with an emphasis on public equity and debt offerings, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions and general representation of emerging growth companies. His clients include established public corporations and private, venture-backed companies, and he has substantial experience representing clients in the telecommunications, electronic design automation (EDA), semiconductor, Internet and software industries. Ted also counsels boards of directors, CEOs and executive management on equity compensation, corporate governance, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and other regulatory and disclosure matters.
Ted has successfully completed numerous venture capital and other private placements, as well as several public offerings and secondary public offerings. He has also consummated multiple negotiated acquisitions and dispositions, including stock and asset purchases and mergers.
Venture Capital / Private Equity
- Represented a telecommunications service provider in a $24 million Series C financing.
- Represented the venture capital investors in a $20 million, final pre-IPO round of financing in a biopharmaceutical drug delivery company.
- Represented an EDA software company in multiple rounds of venture funding that raised $34.5 million in equity capital and secured debt.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented the acquirer in the purchase of a controlling interest in the spin out of an international thin client computing company.
- Represented the acquirer in the purchase of telecommunications assets in a Section 363 bankruptcy reorganization.
- Represented the seller in the proposed sale of intellectual property assets covering EDA design methodologies.
- Represented a WKSI issuer in a $200 million public offering of common stock under the new (December 2005) Securities Reform Act rules.
- Represented a public ophthalmic products company in the private issuance (PIPE) and subsequent registration of common stock and warrants to institutional life sciences investors.
- Represented an Internet networking equipment company in its $87 million, Goldman Sachs-led Initial Public Offering (IPO).
Alston & Bird client 365 Data Centers, one of the top U.S. colocation providers by market presence, has raised $16 million in Series B funding from existing investors Crosslink Capital and Housatonic Partners and has secured a $55 million credit facility from Fortress Credit Corp., an affiliate of Fortress Investment Group.
September 10, 2014
An Alston & Bird team assisted Silverpop, an Atlanta-based company that specializes in pinpointing marketing messages based on real-time online activities, with its sale to tech giant IBM for an undisclosed sum.
May 12, 2014
In the News
Ted Hollifield, partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities Group, was quoted in San Francisco Chronicle discussing the social media website Twitter’s IPO and how its successful Wall Street launch, with its stock soaring 73 percent above its initial public offering price, bodes well for San Francisco’s growing tech scene.
November 8, 2013
In the News
Ted Hollifield, partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities Group, was quoted in Bloomberg discussing the social media website Twitter filing for a public offering, and how it has the potential to open doors for other consumer-Internet public offerings even after Facebook’s troubled share sale last year.
November 6, 2013
In the News
Ted Hollifield, partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities Group, was quoted in The Recorder discussing the social media website Twitter filing for an initial public offering and how the filing itself will remain out of the public eye—even though the company floated a tweet stating they were doing so.
September 13, 2013
In the News