Thomas Cohen is a partner in the firm’s Environmental & Land Development Group. He provides legal, strategic and project management services for clients through the entitlement, environmental review, political and public outreach process for clients seeking permits to construct industrial, office, residential and retail projects in communities throughout California. He has significant experience with federal, state and local regulations affecting development projects, including land use planning and subdivision laws, CEQA and the Clean Water Act.
His experience includes entitlements of all types, such as general plan amendments, specific plans, development agreements, zone changes, subdivisions, conditional use permits, special use permits, variances, grading, building and encroachment permits.
He earned his J.D. from the University of La Verne in 1992 and his B.A. from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1986.
- Provides land use and strategic advice for the world's leading aerospace company’s facilities in California.
- Represents a national movie theatre chain in new development projects throughout California.
- Represents $300 million expansion of a hospital in the city of Ventura in obtaining entitlements and CEQA approvals.
- Represents a national home improvement company in managing the entitlement process to acquire necessary entitlements and permits for the construction of new stores in Ventura County.
- Represents one of the world's largest real estate investment managers, investing in commercial and residential property, and real estate securities globally by providing land use due diligence counseling services and advice.
- Represents a variety of Southern California residential developers in obtaining land use entitlements.
- Represents a variety of Southern California commercial retail shopping center owners in obtaining land use entitlements.
- Represents members of national office and industrial development companies in obtaining land use entitlements.
- BIA Governmental Relations Committee member
- CMTA Governmental Relations Committee member
- Chair of the Alliance for the Arts
- Chair of Rebuild Together Ventura County
- VCEDA Board member
- United Way of Ventura County Board member