Mr. Balts counsels clients to procure, protect, license and enforce intellectual property rights with a specific emphasis on chemical, pharmaceutical and medical device patents. In addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications, he also counsels clients on a number of intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, patent validity and transactional matters, which include joint development and licensing agreements, trademarks and copyright matters. Mr. Balts is admitted to practice before the USPTO.
Mr. Balts received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Syracuse University in 2002 where he served as computer editor for the Syracuse Law Review and authored the article “Substantial Utility, Technology Transfer and Research Utility: It’s Time for a Change.” 52 Syracuse Law Review 105 (2002). He received his B.S. in chemistry, cum laude, from Oregon State University in 1999. Prior to joining Alston & Bird, Mr. Balts was employed as an environmental scientist with CH2m Hill.
- Counsel to a wide variety of clients in drafting and prosecuting patent applications for numerous technologies, including, chemical-related technologies such as polymer science and related technologies, nonwoven technologies, polymer and fiber extrusion, pharmaceutical and innovative drug technologies, medical device technologies, dental technologies, films and packaging technologies and systems, composites, and carbon fiber technologies and related composite structures.
- Counsel to a world technology and manufacturing leader that specializes in films and packaging structures for both food and non-food packaging applications.
- Counsel to a world leader in technologies relating to carbon fibers, carbon fiber composites and processes relating to the production and manufacture of carbon fibers in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to a leading regional hospital network in connection with intellectual property matters that include protection of intellectual property, licensing, legal opinions, trademarks and utility patent matters.
- Counsel to various universities in connection to new drug compositions and medical devices in utility patent and licensing matters.
- Counsel to the world’s largest combined manufacturer of commercial jetliners and military aircraft in utility patent matters.
- Counsel to a world leader in technologies relating to polymer and fiber extrusion including textile and nonwoven-related technologies and processes relating to the production and manufacture of textile and nonwoven products in utility patent matters.
- Member of the State Bar of North Carolina
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Justinian Honorary Law Society
- Elected to the Order of the Coif