Tim Selby is the head of the Investment Management Practice at Alston & Bird and focuses his practice on advising clients with respect to the structuring and management of hedge funds, managed futures funds, private equity funds, and publicly offered-direct participation programs. He represents a broad range of clients, employing a wide variety of alternative investment strategies; from well-established institutions to experienced fund managers that have decided to build their own asset management firms.
Mr. Selby advises clients with respect to compliance with, and exemptions from, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Commodity Exchange Act, Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, SEC and CFTC regulations, and NFA and FINRA rules.
Every year since 2010 Mr. Selby has been listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, where he is recognized for his expertise in the hedge fund and managed futures sectors. In the 2014 edition of Chambers, Mr. Selby was praised as a lawyer who is consistently "coming up with creative solutions to complex issues related to strategic partnerships."
Prior to practicing law Mr. Selby was licensed and practiced as a CPA.
- Established an alternative investment fund platform for an institutional investment manager.
- Counsel to the managed futures group of a major investment bank in connection with the formation of multi-tiered commodity pools.
- Advise mutual fund complex in connection with 40 Act funds investing in futures and derivative instruments.
- Assisted a U.S. fund manager in connection with the public offering of a private equity fund focused on investing in India cross-border transactions that is publicly offered on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) in the United Kingdom.
- Counsel to the asset management group of a major investment bank in connection with the formation of a global macro master-feeder fund.
- Counsel to an independent investment adviser in connection with the structure of a master-feeder fund.
- Represent a commodity pool operator in connection with the public offering of interests in a commodity pool.
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2014 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Energy; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Healthcare; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; REITs; and Tax.
May 23, 2014
In the Press
At a lunchtime ceremony on February 27, 2014, Alston & Bird was named Best Law Firm - Innovation at the inaugural CTA Intelligence Service Awards, created to recognize and reward those who have provided outstanding support and services to the North American managed futures industry over the past 12 months.
February 27, 2014
In the Press
Alston & Bird recently participated in the Claritas Investment Certificate pilot program, a comprehensive global education program developed and provided by the CFA Institute to provide clarity and understanding on the essentials of the financial services industry. Of the 27 Alston & Bird registrants that took the exam this spring, 100 percent passed, an “extremely impressive” rate well above the average of other participating organizations.
August 5, 2013
In the Press
Twenty-one Alston & Bird practices have been listed in the 2013 Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. These include Antitrust; Banking & Finance; Bankruptcy/Restructuring; Capital Markets: REITs; Construction; Corporate/M&A; Energy; Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation; Environment; ERISA Litigation; Government: Government Relations; Health Care; Immigration; Intellectual Property; International Trade; Labor & Employment; Litigation: General Commercial, including White-Collar and Securities Litigation; Outsourcing; Privacy & Data Security; Real Estate; Tax.
May 24, 2013
In the Press
- President (2008 – present), New York Hedge Fund Roundtable, an industry association devoted to enhancing educational transparency and promoting ethics among hedge fund industry participants.
- Member and immediately preceding Chairman, Committee on Futures and Derivatives Regulation of the New York City Bar Association
- Member and former Steering Committee member, Outside Counsel Forum of the Managed Funds Association
- Member, Private Investment Funds Committee of the New York City Bar Association
- Member, CPO/CTA Committee of the Managed Funds Association
- Member of the Investment Funds Committee of the International Bar Associations
- Member, Futures Industry Association
- CFA Institute’s Claritas® Investment Certificate