Bill Macurda is a partner in the Global Finance & Debt Products Group. His practice focuses on mortgage-backed, asset-backed securitization and collateral and debt obligations. He represents major financial institutions in their roles as trustee, master servicer and lender. Recently, he has counseled clients with transactional, bankruptcy and litigation issues relating to the financial markets crisis and the resulting contraction of the global capital markets.
Bill received his J.D. in 1997 from Case Western Reserve University and his B.A., cum laude, in 1991 from Wheaton College in political science and economics. He is a member of the Commercial Mortgage Securities Association and the American Securitization Forum.
- Represented major financial institutions as master servicer and trustee in connection with the bankruptcies of servicers and/or mortgage loan sellers on various residential mortgage-backed securitization transactions.
- Represented major financial institutions as trustee in closing numerous public and private commercial mortgage-backed, residential mortgage-backed, asset-backed and collateralized debt obligation securitization transactions and secured lending transactions.
- Represented major financial institutions as master servicer in closing numerous public and private residential mortgage-backed securitizations.
- Represented underwriters and issuers in closing various public and private residential mortgage-backed securitization, asset-backed securitization and re-securitization transactions.
- Represented major financial institutions in various defeasance transactions, including defeasance of commercial mortgage loans, mezzanine loans and asset-backed bonds, and in tender offers of asset-backed issues.
- Regularly advises major financial institutions on SEC regulatory compliance issues, including those related to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Regulation AB and reporting requirements under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Represented major financial institutions in various types of disputes and litigation involving the administration of previously closed securitization transactions.
- Experience in securitization transactions involving a variety of asset types, including asset-backed bonds, credit/tenant leases, receivables, automobiles loan receivables, commercial loans secured by foreign properties, SBA loans, mezzanine loans, reverse mortgage loans and home equity lines of credit.
- Experience in securitization transactions incorporating REMIC, grantor trust and partnership tax structures; the use of derivatives and insurance; and the use of warehousing arrangements and funding facilities.
- Represented major financial institutions as lender in closing numerous commercial real estate conduit lending transactions.
- Represented a major financial institution as lender and a municipal entity as issuer in closing municipal finance transactions.
- Represented a major financial institution as trustee, collateral agent and administrative agent in numerous public and project finance transactions.