Clark Calhoun was a featured speaker for this webinar sponsored by Strafford. The presentation covered planning an effective roadmap for evaluating a company's legal entities with an eye toward restructuring in order to reduce state tax bills and exposure. The panel covered the following questions.
- Structural changes: What is involved in liquidating an entity or converting it to a disregarded entity?
- FAS 109/FIN 48 disclosures: Is your tax staff spending too much time on calculating effective tax rates because of outmoded entities?
- Nexus analysis: Could eliminating certain entities reduce your company's tax exposure in certain states?
- Losses and earnings: Are they imbalanced in some company entities, resulting in a needlessly high overall state income tax rate?
- Getting help from within: What other company departments need to be part of a business entity evaluation? How and when should they be brought into the effort?