Our Experience with Japanese Companies
Our litigation attorneys on the Japanese Business Team include several top-tier trial lawyers with substantial experience representing Japanese companies and their affiliates in U.S. litigation and arbitration matters. Our attorneys are acutely aware of the significant language and cultural barriers that exist between Japanese and American business, and can facilitate a successful resolution in even the most complex and difficult case. The team includes several Japanese-speaking attorneys and paralegals who can work directly with our Japanese clients as the case proceeds through discovery and, if necessary, trial. The litigators on the Japanese Business Team have achieved extraordinary results for their Japanese clients, including the following:
- Represented a Japanese automobile manufacturer seeking to recover more than $300 million from U.S. supplier relating to product recall. The case settled under very favorable terms.
- Representing a Japanese bank seeking to recover more than $140 million in losses as a result of fraudulent investment scheme.
- Represented a Japanese manufacturer of utility lighters in significant product liability suit where plaintiffs alleged that the manufacturer’s failure to incorporate a child-resistant mechanism caused a two-year-old child to suffer third degree burns to more than 70% of her body. While the plaintiffs demanded more than $40 million, the case settled for a fraction of that amount on the eve of trial.
- Represented a Japanese electronics company in federal court in New York where plaintiffs sought to recover more than $30 million in costs and expenses incurred in connection with a product recall issued by U.S. automobile manufacturer. The case settled under very favorable terms.
- Represented a Japanese telecommunications company in federal court in Florida where plaintiff asserted fraud and breach of contract claims seeking more than $22 million in damages. The case proceeded to trial and resulted in a defense verdict.
- Represented a Japanese company in patent infringement lawsuit maintained by a French apparel manufacturer. After demonstrating through discovery that the French patent was invalid, the suit settled under very favorable terms.
- Represented a Japanese company in patent infringement case where we established that the Japanese company’s competitor’s patent was invalid.
- Serving as U.S. tax counsel for numerous Japanese companies encompassing international, domestic, and state and local tax matters including tax planning, representation in audits and other controversies with tax authorities, and assistance in obtaining advance rulings and agreements from various tax authorities.